Potentially different sized K40 Build? DSP conversion

dooglek

Potentially different sized K40 Build? DSP conversion

Post by dooglek »

Hey LightObject,

So i have researched to forum extensively, but have not found solutions to my problems and was hoping you could help hammer
Some of them were mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=3159&p=16239&hilit ... psu#p16239

I have found the links to the correct wiring diagrams for the unlabeled PSU that came with my K40:

However I have two problems which no one has posted solutions for (that I could find), one of which dcrump70 mentioned:

When the Y Limit switch is installed on my K40, there is not enough vertical clearance to get the CNC rig back into the machine. The fit is so tight that the switch would almost certainly get crushed if i tried to push it in… Im not sure how to get it back in.

Imageimage hosting 10mb limit

And second, the X axis motor uses a single ribbon Cable, not the 4 wires described in the wiring diagram provided.

Imagephoto sharing

I have done some research and found several suggestions on this post (the only thing i could find on the matter)
https://www.reddit.com/r/lasercutting/c ... ions_here/

1: Desolder the ribbon cable connector off of the control board that comes with the laser cutter.. Then solder wires onto the appropriate leads for the x axis motor and limit switches.
2. Buy a breakout board for the ribbon cable. With that, you just plug the ribbon cable into the connector on the board and then solder wires onto the appropriate places on the board.
3. Or to solder wires directly onto the small PCB that is right next to the x axis motor

Any suggestion on which route is best?
If it is 1 or 3, how do i find it which leads are the correct ones for the wiring diagram provided on the forum?

ALSO
The wiring diagram says the digital meter should be connected to the PSU, however I don't see anywhere I could connect it on my PSU

Imageimages upload

Perhaps this is this mysterious unlabeled PSU... Do i need to connect that wire to one of the ports in the front?

and LAST QUESTION I PROMISE
Are the limit switch connections the only ones that needed to be soldered? Can everything else just be wired and shrink wrapped?

Thanks to anyone and everyone that took the time to read.
Hoping to figure this out and maybe help anyone else whose encountered these problems!
Any info or resources would be so helpful and appreciated,
having fun with the build and hoping to get these riddles solved and start using the machine soon! =]

Doug
Last edited by dooglek on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tech_Marco

Re: Potentially different K40 Build? DSP conversion

Post by Tech_Marco »

FYI: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1372

That connection from your PSU is either the negative or ground. It is used to be connected to the negative side of the laser tube

Marco
dooglek

Post by dooglek »

Thanks for the quick reply Marco,

That answers my question about the Meter to PSU wiring.
And I have read the manual provided thoroughly,but it does not mention how to convert the ribbon cable to the wiring described in the diagram, or the issue of fitting the aluminum block back into the case after the Y limit switch has been connected.
Any advice on these?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

You don't!
Just do it without the ribbon,
Wire the motor to the new drivers and wire the limit switch to the DSP direct. The ribbon is a trouble maker. Drop it

Marco
dooglek

Post by dooglek »

Awesome!
So I assume i just cut the red, white, blue and yellow wires and then those go into the stepper driver?

But to be sure, the manual does mention using cat5 cables, with 4 extra wires. Where do the white with blue stripe, the second blue, orange and white with orange stripe connect to on the motor?

OR am i making this too complicated and misinterpreting the manual... Do i just need to connect the original four wires as described in the wiring diagram?
dooglek

Post by dooglek »

And i am thinking of just getting a Dremel and grinding into the body of the machine to make some extra clearance to fit the y limit switch back in...
dchris17

Re: Potentially different sized K40 Build? DSP conversion

Post by dchris17 »

I have the same model. I mounted my switch underneath the rail instead of on top. You have to put it close to the edge, which reduces your usable area a little bit, but it will fit.
pw98

Re: Potentially different sized K40 Build? DSP conversion

Post by pw98 »

I tapped the frame with an m3 tap. I have lots of m3 screws from building 3D printers. I also had to drill out the holes in the switch such that an m3 screw would fit through the limit switches. Once I have all that, I placed the gantry back into position and screwed the switch in using a hex key.

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”