What Motor Driver can be used with DSP E5

dansgscale

What Motor Driver can be used with DSP E5

Post by dansgscale »

I just purched upgrade parts for my K40 which include that DSP E5 and Air assist laser head and Z-axis table. I did not purchase the Microstep motor drivers because I already have a few of these drivers. My questions is can I use them wit the DSP E5 or do I need to get the ones from LO, Also do I need to replace the Stepper motors in the K40 with new ones and would I also have to replce the one that came with the LO Z-Axis table? Thnaks for any help in advance. Dan Stuettgen
32383-large.jpg
Tech_Marco

Re: What Motor Driver can be used with DSP E5

Post by Tech_Marco »

The drivers you have should be fine. Micro stepping set to 3200 and current should set to the lowest. For the Y axis, set Current to a step higher than the lowest if the Y motor didn't get very hot after idle for 30m8n

No need to replace the original motors unless it is not working properly

Marco
dansgscale

Post by dansgscale »

Thanks Marco, Now if I can get LaserCaD to show up in english I would be doing great. I have installed it 4 times and it always comes up in Chineese. Dan
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

When I go back to my office, I will give it a try. I will repacked it with single language only.

I think the fist time installation you picked Chinese by mistake. If so, you can reach LaserCad files and 4emove it all. Use Keywords like "LaserCad" or "AWC"

Marco
(In China)
dansgscale

Post by dansgscale »

Marco: I am just about done with the wiring of the E5 DSP controller to upgrade the K40 Laser Cutter. I am using different Mircostep Drivers than the ones shown on the wiring diagram for the E5 DSP upgrade. I want to make sure that I have the wires going from the E5 to the Mircostep drivers in the right place. This is the Microstep driver I am using.
32383-large.jpg
The Wiring diagram for the E5 shows the three wires DC5V, PUL and Dir on the E5 going to opt/+5v, Dir and Pul on the Mircostep driver and the ENA is not used.
20160918_191902.jpg
However the Microstep drivers I am using have a + and - for the PUL, DIR and ENA I currently have the wires connected to the +PUL, +DIR and +ENA. Is this the correct place to have these wires connected or do I need to use the -PUL, -DIR and -ENA terminals. Here is the data sheet for these Mircostep drivers.
20160918_191832.jpg
Once I get this nailed down I just have to assemble the Z-table and install it and connect the limit switch wires and the upgrade will be done. I have taken photo of ever step along the way and will post a step by step tutorial on how I did it to this forum.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan Stuettgen
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Dan:

I'm so sorry that I forgot your post!
You should select the micro-stepping to '16' (or 3200) which ended up S1 S2 S3 in "Off Off On" respectively
For the K40 in general, I'll set the X current to 0.5A and Y current to 1.0A

Ignore the EN+ or EN-, no connection needed.

Again, my apology for the late reply

Regards,
Marco
dansgscale

Post by dansgscale »

Marco: what do I do with the +5V connection on the E5 then. I currently have the PUL going to the +5 PUL and the DIR going to the +5DIR and the +5V going to the +5ENA on the Micro Step Driver. So I can just leave off the +5v wire all together and only use 2 wires instead of 3?
tansh

Post by tansh »

The DC5V on the E5 is connected to both the PUL+ and DIR+ on the driver. The PUL on E5 is connected to the PUL- on the driver, whereas DIR on E5 is connected to DIR- on the driver. Just ignore ENA+ and ENA- at the driver for now.
dansgscale

Post by dansgscale »

Thanks for that information. I think I got it now. Just received my Honeycomb material today along with the Impreoved Lens and water Flow Sensor. Once I get those installed along with the Limit switches and the Air assit, My Upgrade to a E5 DSP will have taken my $388.00 Laser Cutter to a $1000.00 Machine.I sure hope that it will be well worth the effort.

Dan

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”