Software Questions

gavoss

Software Questions

Post by gavoss »

I finally have my machine finished thanks to LO and wadz222 (with who's help I'd still be in the dark, thanks m8!) :D

Most of my desire for this machine is cutting. I cut balsa wood and some lite ply. I use CAD to make my files and import them into LC (which is really a graphic program, not CAD BTW). How do I get the parts to come in at 100% size? Also, I noticed LC was adding lines and "interpreting" the drawings incorrectly. I design ribs and parts that go in aircraft and the parts have nibs, (some of the line missing so the parts will stay on the sheet after cutting.) It's taking some of the lines and attaching them to the part above. On other drawings, it's actually adding lines to the rib file. I couldn't find a way to make the parts have nodes so I could correct the file before cutting.

The black rib is what was imported. The red ribs are what I got. Disregard the straightening of the lines in the photo. It comes in smooth like the correct part but you can see it's added lines to the leading edge and attached itself to the rib above.

Any ideas how to solve these issues?
Attachments
corrupted file.jpg
DonL

Re: Software Questions

Post by DonL »

I don't use AutoCAD, I use Corel however I had similar issues, So I found that if you have guide lines it will give problems, If you use text, convert the text to curves and then use the Weld command before exporting to LaserCAD.

So in your cad design, just before you export, delete any guide lines, convert everything to curves and see if that helps.
jeckardt

Re: Software Questions

Post by jeckardt »

It's been a while, so you likely have already solved this problem.

AutoCAD usually works in imperial (unless you set it otherwise), while LaserCAD is exclusively millimeters.

Convert all of your fonts to vectors using Express->Text->Explode. (I usually keep my raster fonts on a "text" layer, then using _copytolayer to copy them to a "vector text" layer, then convert that layer. It's nigh impossible to edit the text once it's converted. The raster text will be ignored by LaserCAD")

Make sure to run overkill to remove overlapping lines

Then do the scaling by 25.4.

I keep my drawings in imperial for convenience, the scale each time before downloading.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”