Wiring help needed BADLY! Has anyone wired one of these PSU's?

gavoss

Wiring help needed BADLY! Has anyone wired one of these PSU's?

Post by gavoss »

I guess Marco is busy as I 've not received and answer from LO.

I have the PSU below. I need to know what the hook ups are so I can follow the wiring diagram. Any help is greatly appreciated. I also need help with the 12-wire Y axis drive motor wiring.
Attachments
PSU supplied with laser.  How do these compare to the wiring diagram supplied with the upgrade?
PSU supplied with laser. How do these compare to the wiring diagram supplied with the upgrade?
Techgraphix

Re: Wiring help needed BADLY! Has anyone wired one of these PSU's?

Post by Techgraphix »

Using Google and typing "HV Supply K40" gave me this picture:
laserpwr.jpg
For the motor wiring: what is the motortype? 12 wires on one motor is not very common, i've seen them with 4, 6 and 8 wires but not 12, yet..

Kees
gavoss

Post by gavoss »

Attached are 2 drawing showing where each wire goes in the current setup for the Moshi Board. I really appreciate the help.

Now I need to know where to hook them up to the X7 board upgrade.

As for the motor wiring, the instructions show using a 6 pin plug with multiple wires attached. If I just need to cut and attach the 4 wires to the drivers then that's no problem. looking at their photo in the instruction manual, it left me with the thought I needed all 12 wires addressed.
Attachments
aaa laser cuter power blocks.jpg
aaa laser cuter back of case drawing.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

May be you should take a picture of the PC board from the PSU and show the legend mark. It should print something like this on the PCB board: TH, TL, WP, Gnd, IN, 24V, 5V....

You don't want to 'guess' when making the connection to the DSP because by making a wrong connection, it could lead to a brutal consequence (very odd). A while ago a folk got the DSP blew off and I really don't want to see that happen.

Marco
gavoss

Post by gavoss »

Here are the photos. I didn't see anything that was labeled like you mention. Maybe it's labeled under the plug in housing, I don't know. That's why I'm having such an issue. That's also why I make a map showing where the wires to the plug goes in hopes you could back trace them and come up with the answer. Does the photo in the above post help any?

:arrow: Next, on the photo in the instructions showing the X axis 4 lug cable connector that there are a # of extra leads coming out. I don't understand where the extra wires come from or where they go to. Since this is a basic machine, i.e. no Z or U or anything else, can I just hook up the 4 wires like I did on the Y axis?

This is all that's holding me up from finishing. Remember, my machine didn't work from the factory (software issues, not a non-functioning laser) and I'd really like to get cutting or at least see the gantry move around! :lol:

I really appreciate the help and hope you can make something of the drawings and photos. I'd hate to have to drop another $200 on a LO-PSU.
Attachments
IMG_1442.JPG
IMG_1441.JPG
IMG_1440.JPG
gavoss

Post by gavoss »

Lin got me hooked up with this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2684&p=12809&hilit=moshi#p12805 and as you can see it has the same PSU so I'm off to finish wiring! Thanks so much guys. 8-) :mrgreen:
gavoss

Post by gavoss »

Thanks to LO and wadz222 (without who's help I'd still be fiddling with the machine) I'm done with the upgrade. I'm adding 4ea 5V terminals, one for the laser pointer and 3 extra and a larger, more robust 24-5V converter per wadz222's recommendation. He provided a wiring diagram for my PSU and that got me over the hump as they say. Anyway, I know what/how to wire this type PSU and if someone else has questions about a build using this PSU, I can probably answer them. Now it's getting used to the software.

Speaking of software, I've decided that buying the more expensive machines, i.e. the Full Spectrum or Epilog brands are worth the money for the software alone. I learned that a laser cutter w/o a Z table is basically a one-thickness machine. Fortunately for me, I plan on cutting 1/16-1/4" balsa wood and thin 3mm ply, so a one-thickness machine is fine. LO has been great at helping and I think their product is worth the cost, even if it's nearly twice the cost of the machine.

Let's face it, these are toys. If we all wanted a real laser cutter, one to make $ with, we would have spent more $. Don't waste your time on the basic machine. Buy this upgrade and install it today! It's not hard to install and this software is so much better than LaserDRW it's not even funny. I'm not an electrical person but the wiring diagram is easy to follow and there's help in this forum. Don't be afraid to tackle this job and feel free to ask questions on this forum!

Now, LaserCad is NOT a CAD program! It's a graphic software and that's OK. It just takes some getting used to. I'm still struggling with getting parts to import correctly but I'm sure over the fall I'll have this thing going full speed ahead!

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”