Weird noise coming from my tube

3rdaxisprinting

Weird noise coming from my tube

Post by 3rdaxisprinting »

Have a K40. Barely have used it. Swapped out the controller board. Was working great then a clicking noise began. I thought nothing of it and then it got louder. Now when the laser fires it makes a screeching scary noise, so I turned it off and looked at the time and can't seem to see anything but then again I don't know what to look for.

Any idea what it could be it how I can trouble shoot it?

Thank you
Techgraphix

Re: Weird noise coming from my tube

Post by Techgraphix »

Seems to me as arcing. When you open the cabinet and operate it in darkness you might see where the arcing occurs..
BTW. are you sure it's your tube and not the high voltage supply itself, or the wiring ?

Kees
3rdaxisprinting

I took some terrifying video of it arcing where the tube is last night. However what I find the most strange but I could just not know how these work entirely is it is now randomly arcing when sitting idle. I don't know if this meqns I just have a bad ramps board that is always sending a signal or my PSU is bad but if I disconnect the ramps board it stops randomly arcing so the board is sending a signal constantly but this could just be a normal constat small voltage to the tube? I don't know but please shed some light
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

I'm not sure... Normaly i would expect that there is no voltage when idle...
BUT i can imagine that there is a certain tresshold, all the time, so the tube will fire almost immediately without having to "build-up" the high voltage prior to the actual firing..
I'm not able to measure such high voltages in a safe manner so i can't tell you how it is with my machine (which is NOT a K40)

This spurious arcing an also be a unwanted interference that makes the tube fire randomly..
First insulate all wiring properly, so there will be no arcing there.. If your tube arcs inside (can't imagine how, although) there can be a crack and you need to replace it at once..

Where exactly did you see the arcing on your video? Can you find some traces of it, like small black carbonated spots or tracks?

The arcing is in fact a kind of shortcircuit which can also had caused a defect in your HV-supply.. I hope you're lucky..

Kees
3rdaxisprinting

See that's what's weird my Pwn pin are putting out a constant 5v signal and when I send a command to turn laser on it changes it to 3.2 volts. But I don't really understand how the laser supply works and if a 5v signal normally means laser off and anything else is fire with a varied degree of power

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”