Emergency Switch

DonL

Emergency Switch

Post by DonL »

Had a scare today, started engraving a plate for a freind and it got half way through and started skipping lines and then it quit all together, the motions were all there just no laser... I turned the machine off then on again, a common technique used in IT :geek:
and it would not burn... Off and on again then it burned for a few seconds then again - no laser.... :eek:

I checked all wiring, Started bypassing things like the amp meter, 10k/1k VRs I have in the PWM line for pre-trigger and max power trim, nope - still won't fire, everything else works so I thought I fried the Laser Power supply or the laser itself.... I pushed the cutoff switch that I have wiried into the laser enable from the old system and it briefly fired... HUH? :shock: So I flicked it with my finger a few times and sh fired up again and I re-engraved the project with no issues.... It was that emergency switch acting up....

Seems OK now and now I know what to look for or I may just have it there as an ornament and bypass it :roll:

Don
Techgraphix

Re: Emergency Switch

Post by Techgraphix »

Or connect it to the controller itself.. There are a few possibilities, none perfect but it works:
In serie with your waterprotect-sensor IF you connected this WP-sensor to your controller, Else, if you connected your WP-sensor to the LPSU, you can connect the Emergencystop with its NC-contact to the WP and GND of Laser1 of the controller. You will get a "waterprotect !" message but it is the emerency-stop..
Another possibility is connect it to the Footswitch (IN2) or in series with your Cap-protect(IN1).. In case of the Footswitch it will act more like the Pause-button. You can overrule it by pressing Pause/Run again...(not too safe...)

BUT first: inspect, repair or replace the emergency-button..

Kees
DonL

Re: Emergency Switch

Post by DonL »

Techgraphix wrote:Or connect it to the controller itself.. There are a few possibilities, none perfect but it works:
In serie with your waterprotect-sensor IF you connected this WP-sensor to your controller, Else, if you connected your WP-sensor to the LPSU, you can connect the Emergencystop with its NC-contact to the WP and GND of Laser1 of the controller. You will get a "waterprotect !" message but it is the emerency-stop..
Another possibility is connect it to the Footswitch (IN2) or in series with your Cap-protect(IN1).. In case of the Footswitch it will act more like the Pause-button. You can overrule it by pressing Pause/Run again...(not too safe...)

BUT first: inspect, repair or replace the emergency-button..

Kees

Cheers!.... The current use of the Laser Enable wires works fine, Hopefully I will never need to use the emergency stop, as it is, when the button is pushed, there is no beam. But the switch is the issue, it does not make good contact or at least it is not reliable when up so I have had the laser intermittently stop firing... so I will need to buy another switch, it has to be 100% reliable...

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”