Mini Rotary Assistance Needed

shaneburton

Mini Rotary Assistance Needed

Post by shaneburton »

I have the DSP AWC608 controller and have recently purchased the mini rotary for the K40. I wired it up with an M542 driver as Marco didn't seem to have a mini that was rated higher than 2 amps. First issue, I have no idea what the dip switch settings are supposed to be for this. Second is how are you supposed to connect this to the Y axis? From reading the forum it appears I cannot use the U axis for rotation, so I have to use Y. The problem is, if I disconnect the existing Y axis motor and plug this one into the Y on the DSP, my laser head just jitters back and forth as it now cannot use the Y axis limit switch. Needless to say I am a bit lost on this one. hammer

For what its worth, I have my Z table setup and it is working great! Still need to get the focus setting figured out, but I can use it manually for now. Just need to get this rotary going.

Has anyone else setup the mini rotary with this configuration and if so how did you get it to work.

Thanks,
Shane
shaneburton

Re: Mini Rotary Assistance Needed

Post by shaneburton »

Ok I figured it out. Thanks to another post I found that you have to switch from the normal Y axis to the rotary after the machine has powered up. I just made a couple of pigtails coming out of the stepper drivers so I can unplug one from the Y on the DSP and plug in the other.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

The M542 is good for the mini rotary

You use "STOP" to stop the gantry from HOMING and probably move the laser head to the center of the honeycomb. Then, install the rotary to the Y axis. Find out proper 'um' for the new 'Y' calculation is required. You may want to backup your current setup before changing new parameters. The 'um' is everything you need the most.

To calculate the um for the Y, just draw a square box of 25mm x 25mm (whatever size good for you) and let the machine to cut it (low power cut). Then measure the the actual dimension and use the 'um' calculator (next to the X and Y) to find the um. That's all you need to do. When you change object for jobs with different diameter, you may need to do it again. I think there is a feature somewhere in LaserCad is allowing you to input the different diameter and make it work without duplicating the 'um' calculation. I tried before but it seems not working out right. So, I always re-calculate the 'um' for different size object for the rotary.

Marco
DonL

Post by DonL »

What I did was open the advanced settings after swapping the Y axis to the rotary table. Check the box and enter the parameters. That way the original Y settings are not changed. Except the Y Max Speed, I turned that down from 300 to 20 so the rotary table does not spin 100 miles an hour when it resets....

Now there is no um calculator in this option, don't know why not, seems it should be like any other um field... so you need to experiment. I think I set my um to something like 17 to get a good engrave on a 3 1/2 inch diameter bottle but it worked out nice,
rotary.JPG
rotary.JPG (45.01 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
20151214_231827sm.jpg

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”