Shape of Beam

DonL

Shape of Beam

Post by DonL »

My system seems to work OK, It engraves even at low power, I can engrave an image on paper that is very detailed and just light brown or tan color, or I can cut 1/4 inch MDF no problem, But when I look close at the beam mark left when I fire just a dot I get a nice circle and a half moon shadow like this
baddot.jpg
baddot.jpg (16.66 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
What causes this? My engravings would be much cleaner without this. Any ideas?
Tech_Marco

Re: Shape of Beam

Post by Tech_Marco »

Check the 'window' lens of the laser tube. It could be something stuck there or the lens damage.
Also, take the focus lens out and double check whether the coating peer off or not
Last, touch the laser head feel how hot it is. A little warm is normal but if it is hot, then the beam must be hitting the side of the barrel

Marco
DonL

Post by DonL »

Tech_Marco wrote:Check the 'window' lens of the laser tube. It could be something stuck there or the lens damage.
Also, take the focus lens out and double check whether the coating peer off or not
Last, touch the laser head feel how hot it is. A little warm is normal but if it is hot, then the beam must be hitting the side of the barrel

Marco
I checked the focus lense and it appeared OK, it is new from Lightobject so is of good quality, the circle with no lense is perfect, so I cleaned the lense and put it back and it seems OK now, may have been smoke on it from the last cut.
Thanks... :mrgreen:

Don
swamidog

Post by swamidog »

the mirror in your cutting head is out of alignment and the beam is bouncing off the edge of the aperture at the bottom of the nozzle.

DonL wrote:My system seems to work OK, It engraves even at low power, I can engrave an image on paper that is very detailed and just light brown or tan color, or I can cut 1/4 inch MDF no problem, But when I look close at the beam mark left when I fire just a dot I get a nice circle and a half moon shadow like this
baddot.jpg
DonL

Post by DonL »

swamidog wrote:the mirror in your cutting head is out of alignment and the beam is bouncing off the edge of the aperture at the bottom of the nozzle.

DonL wrote:My system seems to work OK, It engraves even at low power, I can engrave an image on paper that is very detailed and just light brown or tan color, or I can cut 1/4 inch MDF no problem, But when I look close at the beam mark left when I fire just a dot I get a nice circle and a half moon shadow like this
baddot.jpg

The focus head I have does not have a nozzle and the beam is hitting dead center of the lens so it is not a reflection from alignment in this case, although you are right, that could cause the same effect, In this case a dirty lens was the issue it seems as the problem is gone after I cleaned all mirrors and lenses.

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”