How to connect existing power supply w/PSM

grhd76

How to connect existing power supply w/PSM

Post by grhd76 »

Greetings everyone!

This post is a question to another post (I tried asking my question there but didn't receive an answer). The post is at: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2463
Original quote from Marco:

"Tech_Marco wrote:
I tried it and it worked. The quality is very closed to PSM. It is hard to find the missing pixel if without two copies from each

Here is the connection:

Shorted P+ and G
Connect K+ to TTL (DSP)
Connect Gnd to Gnd (DSP
Connect IN to PWM(DSP

Marco"

I just purchased the AWC608 along with the movable Z bed and associated stepper drivers. I am using the existing power supply that came with the K40. My follow up question is:
My power supply also has a "K-" in addition to the "K+". Should I just leave this K- terminal open?

Also, my power supply has a 5V terminal. Is it ok to use this to power the LED meter?

I've attached a photo of the power supply as well.
Attachments
Power Supply connections
Power Supply connections
Tech_Marco

Re: How to connect existing power supply w/PSM

Post by Tech_Marco »

For now, just leave the "K-" alone. I believe that it is just a common ground.

If I were you, I won't use the LPSU +5V to power the current meter because most of those are sharing ground and it could cause a big 'feedback' problem. Current meter need "isolated ground" in order to work properly. If the 5V doesn't share the ground with the Negative output (connect to the tube), then it should be OK. Otherwise.... stay away!

Marco
grhd76

Post by grhd76 »

Tech_Marco wrote:For now, just leave the "K-" alone. I believe that it is just a common ground.

If I were you, I won't use the LPSU +5V to power the current meter because most of those are sharing ground and it could cause a big 'feedback' problem. Current meter need "isolated ground" in order to work properly. If the 5V doesn't share the ground with the Negative output (connect to the tube), then it should be OK. Otherwise.... stay away!

Marco
I'm just going to use a simple power strip to power the laser, fan, and water pump. Would a USB brick charger (like the ones that come with the iPhone) work ok for the 5V source?
DonL

Post by DonL »

Tech_Marco wrote:For now, just leave the "K-" alone. I believe that it is just a common ground.

Marco
My Conversion kit is on its way, and I have 2 dilemas that I hope to get help with...

1) My current power supply is not labeled and has 6 wires that go to the various panel controls... How can I tell which is K+ IN PWM ? is there a wire color standard? See photo
k40 Power Supply.jpg
2) My rail has a ribbon cable with 8 or 10 connectors, which in the ribbon are the A+ A- B+ B- for the stepper driver upgrade?
K40 Mainboard.jpg
K40 Mainboard.jpg (96.68 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
weeb

Post by weeb »

The 4 wires are actually 2 pairs. If you run an avometer across them you will get the pairings. What colours are your wires from the stepper motor?
DonL

Post by DonL »

weeb wrote:The 4 wires are actually 2 pairs. If you run an avometer across them you will get the pairings. What colours are your wires from the stepper motor?
Not sure but I did find a bunch of instructions and manuals for the various products and schematics. So I should be good except for the laser supply pinout... I guess I can figure it out by where the wires go.... I will be documenting my conversion and including all of the manuals and schematics once complete, I am off for 3 weeks in December so that is when I plan to perform my upgrade.
Cheers!
DonL

Post by DonL »

weeb wrote:The 4 wires are actually 2 pairs. If you run an avometer across them you will get the pairings. What colours are your wires from the stepper motor?
I read the post on the power supply, Thanks... It answered my question. Looks like you converted the identical machine I have so I have to ask... Are you pleased with the upgrade? Did it improve the machine, or greatly improve the machine?

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”