help with upgrade n, can't fire the tube

geartech

Re: help with upgrade n, can't fire the tube

Post by geartech »

That all looks correct. What ammeter are you using, the analog or the digital from LO.
There is a wiring diagram for it somewhere showing the current flow thru it. But it goes on the cathode side of the tube or - side
if its the digital LO ammeter the blue wire goes to the tube side and the green wire the ground on the LPSU

Good luck. I love mine so far. So much so that I just ordered the extension housing and the 45w tube.
So if anyone needs a working 35w tube I've got an extra along with the M2 Nano controller and Dongle
I'll also have a complete set of mirrors and cut head extra in a few days. Ordered a whole new set along with new 25mm Si mirrors and
20mm cut head
cgw

Post by cgw »

Tore into the old power supply and found one of the 2 watt resistors had a hole blown in the side of it. very strange. The ammeter that I was using was light objects digital one. I also checked it with my fluke ammeter and I get the same readings. We should compare notes on the tube upgrade. Got my power supply yesterday and spent some time removing the innards and plan to have it back together for the weekend. The cabinet extension for the new tube looks good. When I ordered mine the inventory on the web site showed only two in stock before I clicked on mine. hopefully you will get yours soon if you have not jet ordered it. I just have to cut a hole and mount it. The new tube should be here on Monday, (fingers crossed). I hope to have everything ready to go when it shows up.
cgw

Re: help with upgrade n, can't fire the tube (problem solved

Post by cgw »

new power supply installed with old tube . the machine fires up and all is fine.

Thanks for the help in diagnosing my unit.
geartech

Post by geartech »

Got my new tube installed last nite. It's a monster compared to the old 32w.
Like a buddy said after seeing the pictures of the old tube next to the new 45w tube installed, It's like putting a 429 SOHC in a beetle.
I've got to run the cooling lines and hook it up tonight and test fire. I got the HV cable and connection just incase but the original HV cable is plenty long.

I'm in the process of fitting a new set of mirror mounts and cutter head in it now. the mirror mounts look to be pretty easy.
The cutter head might take some work. The pro version head is a lot longer than the K40 head. Plus I upgraded to 25mm mirrors and 20mm focus lens.

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”