DSP upgrade info

[email protected]

DSP upgrade info

Post by [email protected] »

Hi, i've a "big" k40, a chinese 50 w engraver (work plate 60x40 cm) which work with Corel laser, i cut often paper with some burned edge and with limited speed (on complex cut cannot go faster then 18-20 mm/s). I'm searching some info to upgrade my laser.
If i change the DSP controller (X7) and stepper motor how can my work go faster?
With X/ controller i can change the amount of laser pulse to prevent (or reduce) burning edge with paper cut?
Who can eventually help me to stilate a "shopping list" to know the amount of the upgrading cost?
Sorry for my english, i'm in Italy
Thanks
Attachments
laser.jpg
Techgraphix

Re: DSP upgrade info

Post by Techgraphix »

To get a real fast laser you do not only need new stronger and faster steppers but stepperdrivers aswell. I don't know if you can fit Nema23 steppers or if you have to stick with Nema17 models.. But these can be found with 0.9Nm!
With a few decent stepperdrivers like most leadshines (or clones) you might easily reach 1500-2000 mm/sec!! (my laser does that)
Kees
[email protected]

Techgraphix wrote:To get a real fast laser you do not only need new stronger and faster steppers but stepperdrivers aswell. I don't know if you can fit Nema23 steppers or if you have to stick with Nema17 models.. But these can be found with 0.9Nm!
With a few decent stepperdrivers like most leadshines (or clones) you might easily reach 1500-2000 mm/sec!! (my laser does that)
Kees
1500 on engrave or also cutting (paper)?
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Both... speed doesn't matter.. but if you will sort any effect with such speeds???
If the power is enough you will even cut 1" plywood with that speed but you will need a few hundred watts probably..
Kees
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Sorry for my interruption, could you please post more pictures about your machine? We better look at the motors, motor drivers, laser tube, and other parts, as much detail as possible.

The max speed of cutting can only reach 20mm/s is a shame. Even the K40 can go as fast as 400mm/s. May be the controller card you have got cutting speed locked up. Regardless, a K40 can do cutting or engraving at 400mm/s (some may has minor backslash problem).

BTW, send a picture of the XY guide. I think your machine is building with a linear guide as opposite to the "Y" or "V" flying wheel type. But still, a linear guide runs a little slower but 400mm/s isn't a big deal at all.

Regards,
Marco
[email protected]

Z motor
Z motor
Tech_Marco wrote:Sorry for my interruption, could you please post more pictures about your machine? We better look at the motors, motor drivers, laser tube, and other parts, as much detail as possible.

The max speed of cutting can only reach 20mm/s is a shame. Even the K40 can go as fast as 400mm/s. May be the controller card you have got cutting speed locked up. Regardless, a K40 can do cutting or engraving at 400mm/s (some may has minor backslash problem).

BTW, send a picture of the XY guide. I think your machine is building with a linear guide as opposite to the "Y" or "V" flying wheel type. But still, a linear guide runs a little slower but 400mm/s isn't a big deal at all.

Regards,
Marco
Hi Marco, thanks for your support. I can engrave at 490 mm/s and cut (if simplex) to 40-45 mm, if i try to cut at faster speed the laser head had "irregular jump". If the cut was complex (small letter or figure, about 3 mm height) if i go fast then 18-20 mm the cut is not regular, curve are not correct and the product was not good.
I try to attach some photo of my machine, laser tube (lost to take pic) is, i think, a normal 40W that they sell for a 50W, maybe the power is more than the correct... i don't know.
If i can have a faster cut 150-200 is great and no burner edge on the paper cut... DSP is what i need (and some other motor, and other).
Attachments
_20151014_221650.JPG
control board
control board
X motor
X motor
Y motor
Y motor
DSC_0101.JPG
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Try this few files first:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2693 (check if return line matched the first cut)
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2698 (check how small a circuit it can cut)

For small machine like K40, the cutting speed can go up to 200mm/s without a problem
Machine slow in cutting speed because the machine is running in vector format. Both X & Y can run in arbitrary direction. The requirement from the hardware is very crucial. Make sure that belts are tight but not over tight. Check the Y axis coupling see if it go lose. Decrease acceleration value if you can from the motor control. Check the DC voltage if it drop over 5% when X and Y is running. Because insufficiency dc current from the DC power supply may lead to the lost of toque.

If you upgrade it to the DSP, I'm sure that the performance will be improved a lot plus more features you may find handy. Most likely you may gain some speed because you can fine tuned the acceleration parameters. But I don't know how much gain you can get. If there is an issue from your machine (hardware) then the DSP is not the sole solution. Mechanical parts seems more dominant factors to determine how good/fast a machine can cut.

Marco
[email protected]

Hi, i'd try with single trace file, i make 2 video, the first trying to cut at 200 mm, stopped, the second one had cut at 50 and is ok, also if is not a clean cut, for professional work must slow down.

If i change the dip i want also change stepper motor and what is necessary to have a professional cutter... if the bill is not too high ;)

200 MM/s:
https://youtu.be/7JKwhzUKJoE

50 MM/S:
https://youtu.be/NhrPkKp0AaQ
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I suggest you to get this upgrade kit:
http://www.lightobject.com/X7-DSP-upgra ... -P942.aspx

Marco
[email protected]

Tech_Marco wrote:I suggest you to get this upgrade kit:

Marco
Hi, with this kit can i cut without quality problem at the maximum engraving speed of my machine? Without change the motor?
Last question... With x7 dsp controller can i change the amount of laser impulse to reduce bruning edge in paper cut?
Do you Have a reseller in europe or must ordered from your site? For custom tax.
Thanks a lot, you offered a great help.
[email protected]

[email protected] wrote:
Tech_Marco wrote:I suggest you to get this upgrade kit:

Marco
Hi, with this kit can i cut without quality problem at the maximum engraving speed of my machine? Without change the motor?
Last question... With x7 dsp controller can i change the amount of laser impulse to reduce bruning edge in paper cut?
Do you Have a reseller in europe or must ordered from your site? For custom tax.
Thanks a lot, you offered a great help.
Hi Marco, i'm waiting for your answer, i need to know if the upgrade can solve my problem and give me a much faster machine.
Thanks a lot
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I don't know how fast is fast to you. Most machine has its own limitation and all parts are counted; belt, motor, driver, controller, laser,....etc!
I won't say that by upgrading it to DSP controller will change your machine capable to run from 200mm/s to a 500mm/s machine. By default, a K40 should be able to handle up to 400mm/s without too much backslash issue assuming all other parts are working the way it should.

Marco
[email protected]

Tech_Marco wrote:I don't know how fast is fast to you. Most machine has its own limitation and all parts are counted; belt, motor, driver, controller, laser,....etc!
I won't say that by upgrading it to DSP controller will change your machine capable to run from 200mm/s to a 500mm/s machine. By default, a K40 should be able to handle up to 400mm/s without too much backslash issue assuming all other parts are working the way it should.

Marco
Thanks a lot!

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”