Control Panel Necessities

MicroBill

Control Panel Necessities

Post by MicroBill »

I'm about ready to make up a new control panel for the laser conversion project. I've got a loaded question...

What items on the control panel do you feel are:

A) Necessary
B) Nice to have
C) Something you've added but don't really use

Naturally, the DSP control would be an A as well as an off/on switch of some type.

So far I'm figuring on installing the DSP panel, E-stop, digital ammeter and an on/off switch.

Any other items/ideas?

Thanks,

Bill
swamidog

Re: Control Panel Necessities

Post by swamidog »

water temperature and flow indicator.
MicroBill wrote:I'm about ready to make up a new control panel for the laser conversion project. I've got a loaded question...

What items on the control panel do you feel are:

A) Necessary
B) Nice to have
C) Something you've added but don't really use

Naturally, the DSP control would be an A as well as an off/on switch of some type.

So far I'm figuring on installing the DSP panel, E-stop, digital ammeter and an on/off switch.

Any other items/ideas?

Thanks,

Bill
calley

Post by calley »

I created one shortly after I got my laser working using most of the original buttons, knobs and switches. And I added an E-stop and a small LCD that shows the water temp and flow using an Arduino. I was going to build that in to the "protect" loop so it could e-stop for water issues, but I never finished that project.

I have since upgraded to the AWC-608 DSP controller and found I don't need most of the original buttons... laser enable & test as well as the pot for power are completely useless.

The next replacement panel I cut will probably have the following:
  • Power switch
    Ammeter
    LCD for water temp and flow
    e-stop
    Accessory power switches:
    • water pump
      air-assist
      ventilation
      work lights (5050 LED strips)
I go back and forth on wether I want the DSP mounted in the hole. There wouldn't be much room for the other switches and temp displays since it takes so much of that small panel space. And I personally think it makes a good handheld/remote unit... I've been planning to make a small bracket to hold it on the shelf next to my laser.

Though I've been contemplating drilling holes for all the power switches which should leave enough room for the DSP.
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

One thing i added is an time-meter to count the tube-active-time so i know exactly how long this tube worked.. Every 100 hours i check the power and so i can monitor the degradation and see when i have to order a new tube..
Switches (auto-off-on) i have added are:
AirAssist, Water, ventilation and light.
Water is always on as the job won't start if the cooler is off
Light-auto: when i open the cap the light will turn on.. I don't use that too often, normally i leave it on all the time..
Then there is a switch inside to switch from Y to rotational near the rotational-plug.

Kees
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

Seconded - it's really useful to have some extra controls on your laser.

Like Calley I used an Arduino to do the supervisory functions for my laser - photos below. The Arduino controls:

- Laser DSP Power.
- Laser PSU Power
- Stepper main power
- Chiller Power, Exhaust Power, Air Assist Power
- Interior Fans
- Work lighting (RGB!)
- Red Dot

It also tracks the laser-on hours.

It can monitor the laser temperature (coolant in and out), plus the coolant rate.

It is also connected to the door switches and the E-Stop button.

If the laser overheats or coolant is blocked, it E-Stops.
If the covers are open, the laser is not enabled.
Exhaust fan runs for 30 seconds after a job completes to clear out the cabinet.

The LCD is from 4DSystems - it's perfect for the job, you draw your UI and download it to the panel, then you talk to it over the serial port.

Most of this is bling (and not strictly necessary) but having the coolant monitoring has already helped; the first chiller I used was defective and the supervisor processor protected the laser as it was supposed to.

/Mitch.

Supervisor LCD panel
Supervisor LCD panel
Supervisor and AWC together
Supervisor and AWC together
Maxduino - laser monitoring board
Maxduino - laser monitoring board
Cam Mayor

Post by Cam Mayor »

Nice job Mitch. Way beyond my Arduino skills however. I would like to see the code on that one and did you make your own shields or were some off the rack.
MicroBill

Post by MicroBill »

Really nice Mitch!

I have a small Arduino touch LCD shield and relay board. I should put them to use.
I really like your display but the voice inside my head is telling me that I should spend the money upgrading the machine's original optic line and maybe the laser PSU.

How and where are you sensing the temps?

Bill
calley

Post by calley »

Very cool, Mitch... I'm impressed.

Is that a stock relay board the the 'duino or did you design that PCB?

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”