Changing out PS

Nala

Changing out PS

Post by Nala »

Hi everyone, I'm new to all this and have learned a lot already, Thanks! I'm upgrading my K-40 with LO kit. I'm also replacing the PS. My question is, how is this done. The red HV cable coming out of the PS does not seem to be detachable. The other end is connected to the laser tube of course. It goes into a short piece of tubing that appears to be filled with silicone. Is there a solder joint inside? Do I just need to cut the silicone off ? Is the tube connection fragile?

Any help appreciated!

Alan
Techgraphix

Re: Changing out PS

Post by Techgraphix »

The tubeconnector is fragile as it is in glass.. The material is very hard to solder and because of the heat it is not advised to solder it.
Many people just wrap the coper core around it but there is a simple solution that works fine:
Take a (old) terminalblock like this:
TB.JPG
TB.JPG (7.29 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
Take out the metal part and you will have a fine connector. You may shorten the screws a bit to fit in the silicon tubing.
You may solder the wire to the outside of this connector and then screw it on the metal pin from the tube..do this with care: glass can break.. use as less force as possible

Kees
Nala

Post by Nala »

Thank you, that sounds good. As far as removing the old cable that is embedded in silicone, Do I just cut the old silicone off with a razer or such?
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Correct.. use a fine sharp knife to get it off (a fresh Stanley-knife).. You can waste the old silicon sleeve too.. Just make a new piece of tube.. and fill that again with silicon-kit (no-acid type)
Clean it off with goods like White Spirit..

Kees
Nala

Post by Nala »

Thanks!

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”