Power Z table motor issues

mr pickles

Power Z table motor issues

Post by mr pickles »

Hooked up the power z table to a m415 driver and to my x7 DSP, but can't get the setting right.
When I press Z up/down on my controller it moves just barely for a split second then stops.

I have tried various Amp/microstep combos on the stepper. Any idea of what setting is correct?
Are there LaserCad setting or controller menu setting I need to change?

Wires from motor to driver:
orange ->b+
yellow ->b-
purple -> a-
red -> a+

Thanks!
Techgraphix

Re: Power Z table motor issues

Post by Techgraphix »

Yes, there are settings in LaserCad for the Z (and U) axis.. Like the X-and Y-settings you will find these in the Options/System Options/Manufacturer Parameters.
Clip0001.jpg
Clip0001.jpg (65.58 KiB) Viewed 3572 times

Halfway up, on the right side you see a button Z/U options.. This opens a new window for the settings of Z.
When your range is too small or the Z position is already outside the range, it won't move..
These settings can also be entered on the displayunit of the X7...

Kees
mr pickles

Post by mr pickles »

I've set all those settings without any success. What UM and power should the Z motor be running? When I press the Z/U center button on x7 controller it goes into a sub menu, but can't do anything from in there.
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Does your motor has torque? I think you'd maybe miswired the motor:
there are a few general colorcodes for steppers. One of them is with Yellow, Red, Orange and Brown.. It can be your purple wire is brown, or should be..
Anyway: fetch a multimeter and find the wires that belong to one coil..
If it is according the normal colorcode, there should be a coil between Orange and Brown (Purple) and a coil between Red and Yellow..
If so, connect:
Brown to A+
Orange to A-
Red to B+
Yellow to B-
Kees
mr pickles

Post by mr pickles »

You're the man, that was it, THANKS!

I assumed that each pair next to eachother coming from the motor was one coil..no.

Now to figure out the correct Um/Amp/microstep settings...?
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Microstepping can be set quite high: the more steps you have to make for one rev of the stepper but not too high.. the minimal value you can enter at um/step is 1.0000
I think 1/16 is a good starting point. Then you travel the Z for about 20mm and see what the actual travel is.. the ratio between those two can be used to calculate the um/step.. For example: if you want to travel 20mm and the um/step is 6.5000 and the actual travel-distance is 100mm the number of um/step must be 100/20=5 times larger, so 6.5000 x 5 = 32.5000
The current set on the stepperdriver.. With normal steppermotors: if your motor stays cold, you can increase the current.. But if it works fine and doesn't stall you can let the current as is..
A temperature "warm" after about 15 minutes is good.. Hot after 15 minutes can mean too much current. But remind that 50 degrees C feels hot while a motor can handle 100+ degrees C easily..

Kees
DonL

Post by DonL »

Techgraphix wrote:Microstepping can be set quite high: the more steps you have to make for one rev of the stepper but not too high.. the minimal value you can enter at um/step is 1.0000
I think 1/16 is a good starting point. Then you travel the Z for about 20mm and see what the actual travel is.. the ratio between those two can be used to calculate the um/step.. For example: if you want to travel 20mm and the um/step is 6.5000 and the actual travel-distance is 100mm the number of um/step must be 100/20=5 times larger, so 6.5000 x 5 = 32.5000
The current set on the stepperdriver.. With normal steppermotors: if your motor stays cold, you can increase the current.. But if it works fine and doesn't stall you can let the current as is..
A temperature "warm" after about 15 minutes is good.. Hot after 15 minutes can mean too much current. But remind that 50 degrees C feels hot while a motor can handle 100+ degrees C easily..

Kees

This is all fine, and infact the LO-X7 has a expected and actual box and does the calculations for you but.... and this is a big pain in the but.... What is the password required to save the changes? Since I own the controller now, I should have the passwords :mrgreen: :)
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

DonL

Post by DonL »

Tech_Marco wrote:608
Hah I tried 608111 I used for another area but it didn't work obviously :( Thanks... :mrgreen: I will give that a shot tonight

Don.
DonL

Post by DonL »

I saw a lot of images showing the Z Table mounted with the stepper motor at the front of the machine, I decided to place the Z table in with the motor towards the rear, it seems to fit nicely and looks OK. The table is even with the gantry rails all along the entire length so engraving in all areas of the table should be uniform. I did trim 3/4" off the vent and could trim off another 3/4 inch if needed but since the table is a fixed dimension, It would likely yield no benefit. I don't have the table bolted down but a 6" strip of double face tape along the black cover in the front and pressing the table against it has secured the table nicely, it doesn't budge.
Attachments
Ztable.jpg

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”