Initial Axis Setup

Diane Logan

Initial Axis Setup

Post by Diane Logan »

I just installed a AWC608 Control Board into our machine and have also installed LaserCAD V7.43 to interface with it. When I turn it on, it 'acts as though the machine is larger than it is and keeps trying to go further down and to the left (I've left it running for 6-8 seconds to see if it will stop on its own). I can manually get it to stop by pressing the 'STOP' button. It also does the same thing if I press reset.

My question is how to I set the proper X and Y limits so it doesn't have this issue.

Settings:
I have 8 switches on my microstep drivers and have them set with X- 3,4,7 ON, rest off Y- 2,4,5,7 ON, rest off. Original settings were for 2,7 ON for both X&Y
AxisProblem.png
Any and all help would be appreciated as I'm completely new to this. Thanks
Tech_Marco

Re: Initial Axis Setup

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hello Diana:

What is the size of your machine?
You can change the "Range" to avoid the collision once you input the proper value.

AWC608 or X7 is using 'software mode' to constrain the limit. You just need two limit switch for HOME.

Marco
Diane Logan

Post by Diane Logan »

Machine size is 300x500

I have changed the range a few times, think initially in the program it was set to 900x1200. No mater what I put in for the range, it does the same thing. I read on one of the posts that you need to press 'reset' for the machine to accept the new settings, but just like when I initially start up the machine, it goes to the bottom left corner and tries to keep going. Is there a time that I need to let it do this (like 30 seconds)? Is there a way to set these parameters on the machine itself, without the software?

Also I changed the limit switches based on another post, so if they are different for each machine, should I put them back to the default settings?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

First step: click "READ"
Second step: click "Save"
3rd step: Password: 608
4th step: Hit RESET button

Recycle the power and stop the machine. Go back to LaserCad to check the range see if it is updated

Marco
Diane Logan

Post by Diane Logan »

Range saves in LaserCad, but the machine doesn't seem to care at all. It does seem to recognize them after the bootup, but only after I run the laser to each edge first.

Is this something I need to just live with, and move on to other steps in the setup?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Did you by mistake reverse the range for the 'X' and 'Y'??
300x500 should be interpreted as X:500, Y:300

Was the machine HOME properly? Where is your machine HOME position?
Once you hit RESET, the laser head should go to HOME, then you should heard 3 clicks on both X,Y (for mechanical limit switch), then the laser head will move to the "Origin" position. You may move the laser head to the center of the stage and hit "Origin". I see no reason the XY can pass the range if you set it properly.

By the way, you may need to calibrate the 'um' for the X,Y because if you failed to do so, the scale is different. 500mm on X could be anything from 1 to 1000...or whatever. So, draw a square box like 25mm x 25mm, then let the machine to cut it. Measure the true dimention and enter the info to the X & Y um calculator. Then your machine will be on the right track.

You better look at the "FAQ" I posted to get basic idea of doing DSP. Otherwise, it would be a LONG list to do things here or there.

Marco
Diane Logan

Post by Diane Logan »

That is my issue, there doesn't appear to be a HOME. I can set an origin and it goes to that point. I can also change the "range" and it affects the distance that the laser moves. I also know that the software is talking to the machine because I can change the direction of the laser when using the arrows on the keypad.

Could it be that I don't have my limit switches correctly wired?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

You MUST have home or the system got no reference. Without HOME (0,0), the range become meaningless

Marco
Diane Logan

Post by Diane Logan »

And that's why I have a problem. Is there a way to set home? Let me see if I can say exactly what it does and does not do:

At startup and reset, it continually collides with the frame.
However, when I hit "stop" on the control board, it stops colliding and sits there.
I can then move it up, down, left or right and it will collide with the frame and then stop, setting that limit.
I know new limits are being set each time, because if it collides harder one time compared to another, my origin points are different.

I'm fairly certain that I have an 'um' issue at this point, but would that cause it to never find the correct 'HOME' at start up? And would fixing the 'um' fix all the problems? I assumed the 'um' calculator came further down the line.
swamidog

Post by swamidog »

Diane Logan wrote: At startup and reset, it continually collides with the frame.
do you have limit switches installed on the frame. the laser head should "home" to a corner and flip the limit switch. that establishes the corner and prevents the head from bashing into the frame.
Diane Logan

Post by Diane Logan »

That was my mistake on not knowing the original HOME being the top left corner. Once it was explained to me, it was a simple fix of putting a negative on my X Axis for the 'datum' and therefore the limit switches would work. Sorry for such a simple question

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”