Anybody explain this wiring diagram?

pwoyorkie

Anybody explain this wiring diagram?

Post by pwoyorkie »

As I've mentioned previously my electrical knowledge is extremely limited. I'm making good progress wiring up things here and there. I'm referencing a wiring diagram but Im unsure of one aspect.

Where the wire splits what do I do? I know this is a very basic question and I know its asking a lot but could someone explain exactly how to proceed? Do I run 4 wires in all from mains to psu lpsu or do I splice the wire?

I really dont know :lol:
och29

Re: Anybody explain this wiring diagram?

Post by och29 »

Quick Answer - run wires from the switch to the PSU and at the same screw terminals on the PSU connect wires to run to the corresponding point on the LPSU

Power come in from the wall to the plug, from there it goes to the switch. Therefore it might be easy to think of the switch as your 'mains in'. Both the PSU and LPSU need 'mains' power so, you need a live feed going to each one and a neutral. It doesn't really matter where you connect them: you could have two pairs of wire running from the switch or (most likely easier) one pair going to the LPSU and then connected at the same screw terminals a pair going to the PSU.

The convention for these diagrams is that if there is a little semi-circle in a line it means the connection jumps over (doesn't connect) to whatever it is passing. If it is a straight/90 degree connection then it means they are joined. However it doesn't mean that you have to put the join at exactly that point in the wire, you can put it anywhere along the path.

Hope that helps and it's a great question as it will hopefully make things like this more approachable for many people!
laserdude

Post by laserdude »

If your wire size allows, just use one of the power supply terminal strips as a junction point - two wires in one opening. If the wires are too large, then just splice them together literally as shown in the diagram.
pwoyorkie

Post by pwoyorkie »

That helps a lot. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Its so confusing yet great fun learning to put this stuff together :lol:
pwoyorkie

Post by pwoyorkie »

laserdude wrote:If your wire size allows, just use one of the power supply terminal strips as a junction point - two wires in one opening. If the wires are too large, then just splice them together literally as shown in the diagram.
Thank you.

On that note...the red and black wires that supply power are quite thick compared to the wire in the dsp kit. Is it safe to use the dsp kit wire if i strip it to a single wire? (I think blue/brown)
weeb

Post by weeb »

Thats difficult to answer without knowing the guage of the wire. Just for your info, I never had to buy any wire to do the complete conversion. I had an old foobarred atx power supply lying around and I salvaged all the wire from that. I found the thick 12v rail "red and black wires" were perfectly adequate to connect the two power supplies together at 240v. I also salvaged wire from unused 3 pin kettle flex pc power leads, the ones that everybody has lying around, stripped off the outer cover and you are left with 3 x wires capable of running 240v. My wiring is overbuilt to be honest.
pwoyorkie

Post by pwoyorkie »

Thanks Weeb,

I butchered the wifes extension cord. She doesnt know yet :lol:
weeb

Post by weeb »

your in the shit then bro.
pm me if you need a digout. hammer
pwoyorkie

Post by pwoyorkie »

Hopefully i can replace it before she notices.

One more limit switch to wire then im ready to switch on :?

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”