Wiring PSU for Europe

weeb

Wiring PSU for Europe

Post by weeb »

Hi, I am new to the forums so please be gentle with me. smile I have a 2014 model of the Chinese 40w laser
I have read through the forums but can't find the information and I need some help from someone who can advise me. I bought the lightobject X7 DSP upgrade kit and z table but have hit a brick wall when it comes to the wiring of the PSU to the 24v psu.
My problem arises first when I look at the initial wiring. It looks like the Chinese just mix up coloured wires. Totally different from Scotland. Can someone have a look at this diagram of the laser wired as it comes from the shop and tell me which wires go to the 24v PSU and the controller card.

The problem is all the diagrams available here show pin1 as ground but on my power supply it is pin 2, I am scared to wire this up incase it goes bang.

Sorry I should have said the right hand block runs from left to right 24v/gnd/5v/lo

Any help at all would be appreciated thanks.
Techgraphix

Re: Wiring PSU for Europe

Post by Techgraphix »

What i can see from the diagram is that you need a few more things:
stepperdrivers that can be connected to the steppers,
A powersupply for the stepperdrivers
A powersupply for the AWC708C

If the steppermotors are normal bipolar types with two coils (4 or 8 wires) a few simple lowcost stepperdrivers will do. (i advise something like the Leadshine or clones)
Do you have and can you use a multimeter?
If so you can measure the voltages coming from the PSU. It looks like an HighVoltagePSU just for the lasertube, but it can be it also delivers power for the Moshiboard.. not sure..
Else think of buying a 24V regulated powersupply.. I think a 5A type will do in this case.. Although it's not advisable to connect the powersupply to both stepperdrivers AND the controller due to possible interferences, you can start with one single supply.
I use several supplies: a supply +5V/12V/24V for logics, fans, controller etc and a big 48V/10A for the stepperdrivers.. but my machine is a lot bigger and faster.

Kees
weeb

Post by weeb »

Techgraphix

Thank you for taking the time respond. I have the full X7 kit, 24v power supply, steppers motors, stepper drivers etc and I am competent enough to install all of them.

My problem is the mains power supply that feeds the 24v power supply and the dsp card, does not have any markings on the motherboard to indicate GND, PWM, and TTL, and according to some diagrams, red is live or hot but my laser in its original form red isn't live.

If you look at my diagram above it shows 14available connections. 4/6/4 but they do not apper to be wired as described in any of the other posts. From left to right as you look at rear of PSU

1st block of 4 is 1) Yellow to ampmeter
2) Ground
3) Red to main power on/off switch
4) Red to main power on/off switch

Block of 6 is 1) Pink to laser on/off
2) Pink to laser on/off
3) Orange to laser test button
4) Orange to laser test button, purple is joined to it and goes to potentiometer/rotary left
5) White to potentiometer/rotary middle
6) Green to potentiometer/rotary right

Last block of 4 1) Black to 24v on old moshi card
2) Yellow/Green to Ground on old moshi card
3) Red to 5v on old moshi card
4) Green to lo on old moshi card.

I know I don't need them all as the DSP card deals with some of the functions but it's just the basic wiring I need help with. Hope this explains it a bit better

Cheers

weeb
weeb

Post by weeb »

Right sorted it with use of a multimeter. I had been overthinking this and making my own problems.

Here is the wiring if anyone else has problems.

Left block of 4

1. To ampmeter in
2. Earth/Ground
3. Live in
4. Neutral

Middle block of 6

1. and 2. Bridged.
3. TTL
4. Earth/Ground
5. PWM
6. Unused.

5v Bus for Digital Ampmeter and laser pointer.

Up and running now to wire the 24v bus and stepper motors.

och29

Post by och29 »

weeb wrote: Here is the wiring if anyone else has problems.
Definitely useful for me, thanks. I've got the same laser power supply (that came with the machine). Do you know if it is PWM compatible... can't seem to get a definitive answer.
weeb

Post by weeb »

Yes, it's fine m8, I researched endlessly for the same answer but to no avail so I went ahead anyway. It works for me. I plan on upgrading the psu in the near future but I wanted to see if the X7 conversion worked with my psu more like a proof of concept. Does what it says on the box smile
och29

Post by och29 »

Brilliant, thanks so much for the quick reply! Looks like it will be a busy weekend for me!
Rsdiol

Post by Rsdiol »

Thank you!!! I have been searching everywhere for a working hook up to exactly the same PSU. With your help I finally have it working. I have the MA meter but I think I may have connected it backward because I see reading in the nagative range such as -4.45 , -5.77 etc.

Thanks again!

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”