HV Transformer

Sigmaz

HV Transformer

Post by Sigmaz »

Hey gang.

I've been all over the net with this and I was prompted to stop in here and ask the pro's.

I've had the nightmare of all nightmares with this Ebay K40. BOth with the machine and somewhat with the seller.

if anyone here has gone the eBay route to procure one of these little gems you already know they come in many versions made by various companies to the same or very similar form factor.
Although they differ, for some reason the sellers seem to select one of three auction templates which usually misrepresent the device or it's capabilities, or whatnot.. (mine is supposed to be a moshi setup....uh nope.)

Anyway, I waited patiently for it to come from a seller in California.. when it got here it seemed ok enough.. There were the typical issues and bent things that needed tweaking..

I ran it for a few cuts and then the tube failed and caused the PSU to go into an open circuit which arced to the chassis.
I was able to video record it and then it abruptly stopped.

I wrote the seller saying the unit failed and that it needed a new tube. they said they would have to order one from the supplier and then send it to me if I was willing to pay shipping.
It's like there are 2 or 3 distributors and hundreds of sellers of the same crap. and they sell everything.. I know for sure when I finally learn about it's limitations I'll be updating it with a DSP or replacing it entirely with something more formidable.

I told them that it was under warranty for the next 2 years according to the description in the auction and I wasn't going to pay for anything.

They agreed that I didn't have to pay and they would pick up the cost. well this is since March and I still have yet to get a tracking number... but they refer to me as "My dear friend" so I know they are being honest with me.

I know that if I don't see my new tube and optics soon I'll be opening a complaint and evidently they don't like that.

Well long story short, I couldn't wait so I ordered a Tube from another seller in California and it arrived in a little over 7 days and I was ok with that.

I put it in and wired everything back up.. guess what, No go.

The first thing I assumed was that the MOSFET's were toasted, so I removed and replaced them.. tested again no good.

I pulled it apart again and this time I used my tools and checked the diodes on the gates. What do ya know they tested good.
So I thought I'd take it a step further and tested the old Mosfets. Hot buttered toast! I found out they were still good too !?

So I pulled the Flyback and checked the primary windings.
I found 0.6Ω on them but the secondary appears open.

I will test it again tonight with a fluorescent ballast to see if I can get it to fire.

My question is this: I'm looking for a US based source for the replacement transformer only. Not an entire PSU assembly.

I'd like to repair this unit if I can because it seems more sensible to replace a $12 transformer than buy a new PSU for $100+ or pay Alibaba $20 to ship one out which will take another 30 days or so..
I just want to get this up and running again and crying defective to my seller has already proven to be useless.

Like I said, for now I just want to use it a little so I can learn about it's limitations on my own.
Thanks

-jon
Tech_Marco

Re: HV Transformer

Post by Tech_Marco »

Please post the image of the LPSU and the transformer. I may be able to get you a replacement.. But it is $25+ S/H . I can't do it $12

Marco
Sigmaz

Post by Sigmaz »

$25 is fine with me as long as S/H is reasonable and fairly swift lol.

Here are some photos,
LPSU1.jpg
lpsu2.jpg
lpsu3.jpg
lpsu3.jpg (34.24 KiB) Viewed 1840 times

It just occurred to me that I may or may not have installed the top cover backwards. so the fan opening, for which there is no fan... may belong the other way around...

oh, and this is a 110v model

Thanks!
Sigmaz

Post by Sigmaz »

Ahh.. Never mind the transformer. I'll just get a new lpsu.
Which one is recommended for easy install?

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”