Mini rotary

scottbgv

Re: Mini rotary

Post by scottbgv »

so this would be ok for the mini roller also ?
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

What i read from this card that it can make the motor turn left and right, in paterns etc etc.
But when you want to use the rotary to engrave glasses or bottles, flashlights or whatever round object, it would be nice that your controller knows where or how your round object is on the rotary.
What you do is place the y-axis in the middle of your round object and then use the same y-info without moving in the Y-direction.. Instead of that movement your rotary makes this movement.

I don't read anything about this connection between the rotary and controller..

so i doubt it.. This controller is nice for rotating in patterns in both directions.

Kees
scottbgv

Post by scottbgv »

i did order that last night. I do not understand why the dsp did not make the rotary move. It should have right?
scottbgv

Post by scottbgv »

I want to get into engraving glasses and things will this allow me to do that?
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

What do you mean with "this"? my circuit (as posted above) does it for sure...
ABNA2.jpg
ABNA2.jpg (96.39 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
seen from the specs and description of the Motortestingboard, i don't think it will be useful for your application.. But it's up to you if you want to take this bet with the testingboard...
But i can't help you with problems then....

Kees
scottbgv

Post by scottbgv »

I need something to do that! I got the roller one that will fit in my machine. I just need it to work! It should work right off my dsp right?
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

With the little extra electronics (my circuit and an extra stepperdriver for the rotary, can be a small one as you do'n need much current), this is what you do:
You switch on the machine, let it do its resetsequence.... lower the bed so your rotary can be placed somewhere in the middle. Plug the rotary into the connector (best is to place this connector somewhere in the compartment with the switch near that)..... jog the Y-axis on top of your object and align the rotary so your image will come ont he right place. Press "Origin" so your laser won't start somewher outsid this object..... tumble the switch from Y-axis to rotational..... Note that the Y-axis is stil powered but wil not move.. Now when you jog the Y-axis on the panel you will see that your rotary will turn instead..
Probably your first object will be upside down.. then you have to twist two wires on your stepperdriver, for instance A+ and A-, that's all.
I advice to put a bright red led on the front that indicates the rotary is switched on.. Just to remind you that you may not unplug the rotary while it's selected.
Removing the rotary can be done live: First switch from Rotary to Y-axis ... jog the y-axis to the back so you can take it out..... unplug the rotary and take it out..

Just as simple as that..

Only thing you have to do during installation is setting the microsteps on the driver so pictur of 2 inches hig h will come out as 2 inches high.. you can also play a bit with the circumference of the bars by adding (rubber)tape. But that is finetuning.. If you know that 2 inches comes out like 1.9" then you can also scale the picture accordingly as a workaround..

Kees
scottbgv

Post by scottbgv »

Marco You said earlier in this post that the dsp should of controlled the Mini Rotary correct?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I didn't recall that but the DSP supported rotary all the time. I don't understand why make 8t so complicated. I remembered to show you the link of the connection diagram of how to connect a motor and motor driver to a EC-04 test board.The connection is the same as connecting to X or Yaxis. To use a rotary, you unplug Y motor driver and connect the DSP Y output to the mini rotary. You need to find out the "um" value of the totary. Just draw a small squre and run cutting. Measure the true dimension and you can get the um

Marco
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Hi Marco, just a few things:
The DSP supports the rotational unit, thats right.. but unplugging the Y-motor and plug in the rotary can only be done when the machine is off. Without any provisions it will lead to a defect driver when you do that live..
Why should you want to change the Y-motor for the rotary while the machine is on?? Well.. during the startup your Y wants to move home to activate the homingsensor (switch or proxi) When your rotational unit is connected it will start turning and the Y-homingsensor is never triggered.
When the rotary is connected to the Y-stepperdriver, instead of the Y-motor, the bridge is powerless and so very easy to move.. an extra drive can still power the Y-motor without making steps, so hold it firm in place.
When the rotary is placed somewhere in the middle and the Y-axis is placed in the middle, you will have the same workarea up and down. When you just plug the rotary in without homing there is no reference for your workspace..

When using my rotary i encountered these problems and found it quite akward to work. Only 1 IC (74LS244) and a separate small stepperdriver for the rotary-steppermotor solved all this problems for me.. and it is very easy to work with as the machine can do its homing, i can change the rotary while the machine is still on, switch from rotary and Y for convenience (placing or removing an object from the rotary for instance), adjust the needed workspace etc etc..

Ok, i'm a hobbyist and it's a hobby to make things better for me... but i share my thoughts to who's needing help..

Kees
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Kees:

I read you. And thanks for sharing

Usually what I did to stop Y from going HOME is to press "STOP". I was thinking that most folks won't use a rotary and Y often. So, unplugging the Y isn't too bad.

I wish the card could have rotary information saved so that user don't need to change the 'um' for the rotary.
Well, I'm working with RD for a new DSP that I'll carry soon. They may do me a favor.

Marco
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Your UM setting is set in LaserCAD so i suppose these settings will be stored in the ini-file..
Only thing you have to do when you make the UD5-file for the laser is set the enable checkmark in system options/advanced functions when you intend to use the rotary.... when you placed the rotary and load the UD5-file all should be right... or am i mistaking??
(i have my home-computer separated from the laser so i transfer the UD5-files with a USB-stick)

Well, actualy, i don't use this rotate-axis-UM-setting, as the combination microsteps of the driver and the circumference of the rotary-wheels are within 0.25% of the desired size: 200mm is actual 200.5mm.. not realy a fault to worry about IMHO.. so i can live with the values of the Y-axis manufacturer parameters. That's my luck!

BTW i designed a smaller card for Scott that's just 63.5 x 32 mm (approx. 2,5 x 1.5 inches) included connectors (RM3.81) and one IC (74LS244 or 74HCT244):
RotaryYPCB.jpg
Kees

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”