Post Upgrade First Moves and Burn

Baffled

Post Upgrade First Moves and Burn

Post by Baffled »

Hello!

I have finally completed my upgrade and mirror alignment and after following the instructions to resize the "UM" settings, the 100mm X 100mm box drawn using Laser Cad is truely to scale.

However, after numerous attempts to change settings ... includeing the changing the corner settings from Falling to Rising and then back again to Falling, all four corners of the box are not being bunred.

I also drew a 45mm diameter circle inside of the box and the circle is also not complete at its start/stop the 3 O'Clock position, it looks like the letter "C" with a small opening of approx 6-8mm.

The stepper motors are currently set to 1/16, I have not attempted set the stepper resolution to 1/8.

I do notice that the stepper motors do produce a low level hum, sort of like a muffin fan spinning, when the system is powered up and stationary ... is this a normal sound, I do not recally if they had made this sound prior to the conversion?

Even with the hum, they perform well and do not feel warm to the touch.
Though it may be me just being hopeful, but their movement appears to be less "jerky" and more smooth and refined.

One additional question, I am using the original LPSU and Laser Tube and I do not know when the machine was produced.

When I set my power settings to 15%, the laser does not fire, but the fan inside of the LPSU does turn on until the process is completed.

The lowest power setting that I can set and have the laser tube fire is 23.4%, but the beam is not a steady stable burn, it is choppy.

If I set the power setting to 24%, the beam is more stable and the amp meter is registering approx. 2.5ma.

I have not attempted to set the power settings higher, as I do not yet have my vent set up.

Any assistance / guidance would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,
Jason
Tech_Marco

Re: Post Upgrade First Moves and Burn

Post by Tech_Marco »

You just need to increase power for the corning.
Laser tube need 4mA to run stable but it all depends on the power rating of the tube. For 60W, it may need 5-6mA

Marco
Baffled

Post by Baffled »

Marco,

Hello and Thank You for the reply!

I have made two additional trial runs and increased the power level first to 25% and the second attempt to 28%.
My laser tube is 35 Watts and the Amp Meter was registering 3.9ma and 4.7ma respectively.

Unfortunately, the results of both runs have left the corners not cut and the paper is cut through instead of being scorched.

Any additional
I have attached a pic of the run and a screen capture of the Manufacturer Parameters below.

Jason
Attachments
dual_cuts.JPG
dual_cuts.JPG (18.19 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
Test1-Manufacturer_Parameters-1.JPG
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Definitely you did not set up the min power (corning power) properly.
There are two power setup for cutting: max power and corning
The corning power is better set at 70% of the max power. Note, this need to be done on layer level.

Marco
Baffled

Post by Baffled »

Marco,

Hello!

I had changed the Minimum Power Setting as you suggested and it worked perfectly ... Both Squares and Holes are complete!

Thanks Again for all of your help and support!

Jason Blust

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”