Advice for Laser Machine and Upgrades

ennova

Advice for Laser Machine and Upgrades

Post by ennova »

Hello,

I am considering buying one of these "cheap" lasers off of ebay (is there anywhere else to buy them?). I have stumbled across this place and I have very interested in upgrading the laser. Do you guys have any advice that I should know? I am trying to get a good idea of what I will be spending overall.
  • Laser Cutter (from ebay?): $500-$700
    300x200 Honeycomb: $22.50
    Power Table/Bed Kit: $165
    X7 DSP Upgrade Kit: $568.25
    High Quality 18mm ZnSe Lens (F50.8mm): $52

Total: $1308 to $1508
Is there anything else that I would need to be up and running with a better machine? Are there other components that I should consider (or need to) buy?
Thanks,

Ennova
ennova

Re: Advice for Laser Machine and Upgrades

Post by ennova »

Looks like I would also need another:

Mini 2 Phase 1.5A 1-axis Stepping Motor Driver - ($58.00)

for the powered bed.
ennova

Post by ennova »

BrianJenkins wrote:I'd consider this too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LASER-ENGRAVING ... 1e91a5bd4b
What kind of upgrades does that machine need to work well? It looks like it already has a DSP controller. Is it the same DSP that is sold by lightObject or will it need to be upgraded too? The reason I ask is that machine is a little over my budget; however, I am considering it since I would be getting a table size (and rotary attachment) of 500x300 at $2100 vs 300x200 at $1300-$1500.

Do you know if that machine supports proper sized laser tubes (meaning you could actually get a 50W or 60W tube instead of the 40W tube that is closer to 30W in reality)?

Thanks,
Ennova
BrianJenkins

Post by BrianJenkins »

It has the Ruida DSP - which Marco is currently testing. In my researching, I like the Ruida DSP better because it supports gray scale separation (3D), and a virtual printer, plus Corel X7. I've looked at buying this unit, but it's $425+ just by itself on Aliexpress. LO said they may end up offering it - I hope they do.

I have the K40 unit now, and have put it through it's paces pretty well and honestly I wish I'd gotten the one I showed you. 200x300 is VERY small. The fixed table in it is useless, and I constantly shim it. The base is thin and flexes which means the table moves too.

Really it depends on what you want to use this for. If it's just a toy, get the cheap one and play. If you actually want to use it, buy as much as you can now because upgrading is hard.

Once I can get the K40 to pay for itself, I'm going to buy something bigger.

You forgot too, it's a claimed 50w tube instead of the claimed 40w tube in the K40 (which is probably 32w). I do not know the actual dimensions of the tubes in the larger unit though. But just from the pictures, the build quality seems much better.

Here's some more reading:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general-l ... forum.html

ennova wrote:
BrianJenkins wrote:I'd consider this too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LASER-ENGRAVING ... 1e91a5bd4b
What kind of upgrades does that machine need to work well? It looks like it already has a DSP controller. Is it the same DSP that is sold by lightObject or will it need to be upgraded too? The reason I ask is that machine is a little over my budget; however, I am considering it since I would be getting a table size (and rotary attachment) of 500x300 at $2100 vs 300x200 at $1300-$1500.

Do you know if that machine supports proper sized laser tubes (meaning you could actually get a 50W or 60W tube instead of the 40W tube that is closer to 30W in reality)?

Thanks,
Ennova
Greolt

Post by Greolt »

That looks to be a lot more machine than the ebay cheapie.

Has real linear rails.

Up/down table (manual)

Individual dedicated stepper drives.

What looks very like a Ruida RDLC320 https://www.google.com.au/search?q=RDLC ... d=0CDYQ7Ak

I have used a Ruida controller. Software is nice. RDworks. Has a nice plugin that runs inside CorelDraw.

If this is correct, then I would not worry about switching out the controller for an Anywells product.

Not sure about the tube. Add says the machine is 1020mm wide. 60w tubes are generally about 1200 long.

No doubt they will both have the cheaper Chinese lens in them.

EDIT: Brian Jenkins posted while I was typing (slowly)

The only thing I will add is that I don't believe Ruida suppports CorelDraw X7 at this time. (Anywells does not either)
BrianJenkins

Post by BrianJenkins »

Greolt wrote: The only thing I will add is that I don't believe Ruida suppports CorelDraw X7 at this time. (Anywells does not either)
I installed their software on my PC (I don't have their controller), but it lauched RDworks within X7 using the plugin and transferred the drawing into RDworks
BrianJenkins

Post by BrianJenkins »

Screenshot
Attachments
Fullscreen capture 392015 124227 AM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 392015 124227 AM.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 5089 times
Greolt

Post by Greolt »

Thanks for that info Brian.

That is good to hear. The manufacturers site says that it is only compatible up to X6

My daughter has a Gweike laser with the Ruida RDC6442G controller.

She is running CorelDraw X7 and has not been able to install or run the plugin. (I use X5 and had no such issue)

With this new information in hand, I now need to go over there and see if I can sort her out. :)
Greolt

Post by Greolt »

Looking at this again,

I find that from within CorelDraw X5, the plugin looks very different than the pic you posted. I don't have x7 here to try.

This has me wondering if we are looking at different RDworks or some other difference.

The RDworks I have here is V8.00.28

Perhaps if we have more to discuss we should avoid taking over the OPs thread and start a new one.

EDIT:

Installed V 8.00.32

Still the same plugin window from within X5. Perhaps it is a completely rewritten plugin for X7

Your pic looks like the stand alone version rather than the plugin.
Attachments
RDworks plugin.jpg
ennova

Post by ennova »

I think I will go with the 50w laser, it seems more feature rich and I think I will be happier overall.
Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT: I just bought it. I also purchased a 50x30 honeycomb bed. I spent way more than I originally intended... hopefully it will be a good experience. I think I will wait a bit before I upgrade anything. When I do upgrade I think I will start with the lenses.

Thanks again.
BrianJenkins

Post by BrianJenkins »

ennova wrote:I think I will go with the 50w laser, it seems more feature rich and I think I will be happier overall.
Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT: I just bought it. I also purchased a 50x30 honeycomb bed. I spent way more than I originally intended... hopefully it will be a good experience. I think I will wait a bit before I upgrade anything. When I do upgrade I think I will start with the lenses.

Thanks again.
No problem, hope it works well for you. Really interested to see what you think of the controller too.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

FYI, we have XY stage size 500mm x 3000 (I call it VT530 now) should be ready in about a month. And a complete (retail) 500x300 with DSP should be ready in 3 months.

It is equipped with a DSP card and X speed can reach as high as 1000mm/s (could be 1200mm/s but need to check the backslash). It will be dye in Blue color. The default size for the laser tube is going to be the 40Watt, 850mm tube. For the complete machine, it is going to be able to accommodate a 45W (1M) tube with an extension cage. The power Z table is optional

Specification:
Y is installed on linear guide while the X is using "Y" wheel.
2:1 reduction gear on Y and straight driven on X
Work area: 500mm x 300mm (19.6" x12")
Mirror: 20mm
Focus lens: 18mm, F50.8mm
Motor: 47HS03

Price: (not firmed)
The VT530 XT stage is selling for $445.
For the complete 40W machine, price $3,250. Optional power Z table: $275

It is bigger than K40 (300x200) and it is much faster than it. Either LO-X7 color DSP or another model DSP will be installed.

Marco ;)
DonL

Post by DonL »

I did some research, Downloaded RDWorks and now that's what I expect....LaserCAD was a disappointment. It has proper drawing, more features and handles images better, does not need CorelDRAW for wahat I do but it works with X7 so it is like LaserCAD is version 1 of RDWorks... The layouts are so similar it is like they are different versions of the same software with RDWorks way ahead...

The controller is comparable in price too... I think I will get that controller for my next build in the new year. Grayscale would be awsome.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It is all depends on one's preference. Some like the LaserCad for 3asy use while some like RDWork for complexity.

Don't expect much on the greyscale because it won't work right for CO2 laser tube. I did try it. It must be used for thr RF tube! Sooner we will add the greyscale on LaserCad and other features.

By the way, that machine is not a 50W but a 40W. The selles misleading customers. Also, the machine is built by the same manufacturer of the K40. It could be a copy, though. The laser head is a problem and static interference is another problem may occurs

Marco

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”