Honeycomb Bed

jayybone

Honeycomb Bed

Post by jayybone »

Hello All,

I did a quick search and I personally did not come across this. I just purchased the 300x200 honeycomb bed. When I opened it I was rather surprised at how large the bed is! Anyways, can I simply remove the supplied work holder and place this directly in its place? I do not have a powered Z-axis which brings me to my next question. Will this cause focus issues or any other issues beings it is around .8" thick? I just purchased this honeycomb and the air assist nozzle. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I want to clarify this before I start the laser again.

Thanks.
NickWL

Re: Honeycomb Bed

Post by NickWL »

Sounds to me as though you've not yet stripped out the K40's original 'floor' with its strange, spring-loaded 'work area'.
If that's the case, then undo 4 screws (maybe 8 - top and bottom) then you can pad out up and down to any depth (the depth should be the same as your lens' focal length, measured from the nominal centre of the lens). You'll also have increased your work area to about A4 in size.
Z-table next, but meanwhile any old junk that fits will do!
Nick :P
jayybone

Post by jayybone »

NickWL wrote:Sounds to me as though you've not yet stripped out the K40's original 'floor' with its strange, spring-loaded 'work area'.
If that's the case, then undo 4 screws (maybe 8 - top and bottom) then you can pad out up and down to any depth (the depth should be the same as your lens' focal length, measured from the nominal centre of the lens). You'll also have increased your work area to about A4 in size.
Z-table next, but meanwhile any old junk that fits will do!
Thank you for the reply Nick! Z-table is definitely going to be a future add on!

So, just to be clear and to make sure I fully understand, I will be removing the spring-loaded 'work area' as well as the 'Floor' that the spring loaded work area screws onto? from there i will basically just add spacers to the bottom of the honeycomb bed to be to the correct focal lens height? does anyone recall what focal lens is supplied with these lasers? I have not purchased or changed any of the lens' supplied with the laser.

Thanks!
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

You've got it - exactly.
The lens that came with it is probably just a smidgen over 58mm in focal length, but what you can do to be certain is:
  • Assume it's about 58mm for a start, if that turns out to be way out then adapt this accordingly
    Place a strip of target material such a plywood such that one end (LHS) is about 10mm lower (than 58) and the RH end is 10mm higher
    Laser cut (gently!) a line from left to right.
    Look for the sweet spot where the line looks thinnest and make a note of the vertical distance between this and a (any) datum point such as the lens carrier.
Note: this line will challenge your mirror set-up too, you may need to do some beam tweaking to get a solid 'shot' in all positions on your new, larger work area.
Good luck!
Nick 8-)
jayybone

Post by jayybone »

here is a video i posted on youtube of the current upgrades that i have added. These includes the items stated above. I also have a new blower/exhaust system. I hope this is useful for someone wanting to do simple upgrades to their system.

Take a look. Let me know what you guys think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnpnJ1FvcQU

i recently ordered some more components from lightobject. I am hoping to have them by this weekend to install. I will do a follow up video showing these once i have them installed.

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”