Replacement Power Supply Required?

jman123

Replacement Power Supply Required?

Post by jman123 »

Hi all!

Sorry if this has been posted numerous times but I did not see a power supply like mine posted with a definitive answer. Can you tell me if this power supply is PWM compatible and if not what issues will it cause to use it with the AWC608 upgrade kit?

Some of the threads I've read:
http://www.cnc-arena.com/en/forum/upgra ... 09286.html

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... wiring.pdf

http://www.cnc-arena.com/en/forum/upgra ... 09286.html

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2453&hilit=power+supply

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2396&hilit=power+supply

Also, if I need a new PS could you point me to the proper model?

Thanks!!!
Attachments
0.jpg
mikenmel08

Re: Replacement Power Supply Required?

Post by mikenmel08 »

This one is currently helping me with my conversion......Still doesn't really answer your question though.....

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2286
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

This is the PS that I had as well. Discussing it with Marco, his opinion was that it would probably work but that its low-power engraving wouldn't be as good as it could or should be. Additionally, he wasn't sure if the stock supply would properly handle a larger 1000mm 45W tube which I plan to eventually upgrade to using the cabinet extension. So I ended up replacing it with a "20-40W PWM" power supply from Marco that he was sure would handle both the 720mm and larger 1000mm AND have known good engraving capability.

I know some folks are using this supply successfully, so your mileage may vary.

Joe
jman123

Post by jman123 »

Thanks guys.

Mike,

Do you have the same looking PS as I do? Its odd that mine is missing a wire on the right most group compared to the one in the link you sent.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I tried it and it worked. The quality is very closed to PSM. It is hard to find the missing pixel if without two copies from each

Here is the connection:

Shorted P+ and G
Connect K+ to TTL (DSP)
Connect Gnd to Gnd (DSP
Connect IN to PWM(DSP

Marco
jman123

Post by jman123 »

Thanks Marco, I was able to get this wired up and it is working great!
JustinHicks

Post by JustinHicks »

Tech_Marco wrote:I tried it and it worked. The quality is very closed to PSM. It is hard to find the missing pixel if without two copies from each

Here is the connection:

Shorted P+ and G
Connect K+ to TTL (DSP)
Connect Gnd to Gnd (DSP
Connect IN to PWM(DSP

Marco
Hi Marco, thank you for replying to my post and directing me here to this wiring information, but I'm pretty new to wiring and I was wondering what does "Shorted P+ and G" mean Lol.
thank you, peace :mrgreen:
jman123

Post by jman123 »

Shorted P and G means to run a short wire from the P terminal to the G terminal. I believe this could be used to hook up a water protection sensor. With water flowing the connection between P and G is complete but if water stops flowing then this breaks the connection and will power off the laser.
JustinHicks

Post by JustinHicks »

Thank you jman, I wasn't sure what that meant I'm still pretty new to the lingo.

I believe, I have the same PSU or a similar one and I was wondering on the back of my laser PSU there is two slots marked AC, and on the wiring diagram one is a red wire and the other one is a black wire and they are ran to the 24v/5a PSU the black wire is connected to L, and the red wire is connected to N.

What's confusing me is the two slots labeled AC. one runs to L and the other one runs to the N. Can the two AC's get mixed up or does one particular AC need to be ran to the L and the other one to the N?
As always thank you'll for your help I always appreciate it. Peace :mrgreen:
jman123

Post by jman123 »

Mixing them up would reverse the polarity.

Please read this link. You should be able to trace back to the wall if needed to determine polarity with a multimeter. I'm not near my laser to post any pics.

http://m.dummies.com/how-to/content/alt ... l-and.html
grhd76

Post by grhd76 »

Tech_Marco wrote:I tried it and it worked. The quality is very closed to PSM. It is hard to find the missing pixel if without two copies from each

Here is the connection:

Shorted P+ and G
Connect K+ to TTL (DSP)
Connect Gnd to Gnd (DSP
Connect IN to PWM(DSP

Marco
Hello Marco!

I just purchased the AWC608 along with the movable Z bed and associated stepper drivers. Your description here makes sense, but I have one follow up question for you. My power supply also has a "K-" in addition to the "K+". Should I just leave this K- terminal open?

Also, my power supply has a 5V terminal. Is it ok to use this to power the LED meter?

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”