Laser Head question

mikenmel08

Laser Head question

Post by mikenmel08 »

Just got my LO-X7 upgrade kit yesterday..And it is going in one the 40w Ebay lasers..First snag i have noticed is the plate that holds the laser head has a much smaller hole than the head that came with the kit......Is this something i can just enlarge?....Second snag is my Focus lens is only 12mm and doesnt fit into the laser head very well......Im sure there will be many more snags to come in the future but i am only just getting started.....

Thanks in advance for any help......
Mike
Attachments
New head on left-Old head on right
New head on left-Old head on right
Tech_Marco

Re: Laser Head question

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hey Mike:

I believe you missed the other part not showing on the picture. The laser head (ours) came with 3 different parts and can be disassemble. The part you're showing wasn't for the mounting plate.

Marco
mikenmel08

Post by mikenmel08 »

And this is what the mount looks like
And this is what the mount looks like
20150128_121634.jpg
Tech_Marco wrote:Hey Mike:

I believe you missed the other part not showing on the picture. The laser head (ours) came with 3 different parts and can be disassemble. The part you're showing wasn't for the mounting plate.

Marco
I do not see a way for it to work, Can you please tell me which parts go through the mounting plate? The only way i see it to be securely mounted is with the 2 parts on the right.....

Thanks
Mike
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

I'm going from memory here... I don't have the head at hand...

Doesn't the rightmost part in your picture actually disassemble into two parts? I think I remember the threaded section actually being a collar threaded onto a smaller threaded section inside.

Joe
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Pay a little attention to the picture
http://www.lightobject.com/18mm-Laser-h ... -P701.aspx

Marco
acuralegendz

Post by acuralegendz »

Eureka, thats the part that goes through the hole!!!
Attachments
LHK40ASM1-500.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
mikenmel08

Post by mikenmel08 »

I'm not home to check it but I will go ahead and say I feel pretty stupid about now.......

Thanks guys
mikenmel08

Post by mikenmel08 »

Ok its official.....Im Stupid........Thanks guys....GREAT start for my build huh? :lol:
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

I feel pretty confident in saying we've all done it! That's why we're here, to pick each other up again.
Welcome aboard!
Nick :roll:
brian257

Post by brian257 »

Don't feel bad. It took me a little bit to figure out that last section unscrewed also. The way it works you can leave the top section with the 45 degree mirror in it attached and in alignment and you can remove just the bottom section when you need to change lenses.

Hoping one of these days Marco makes us one with a quick change lens section. It is a little bit of a pain the way it is now. I would like to have my different lenses mounted in metal sections that go on with a quick quarter turn or something similar. Would like to get a dedicated bottom section with the air nozzle attached and lens mounted for each lens so the whole thing changes and I don't have to fiddle with the lens and take a chance of breaking it every time. This could also have different length air nozzles like the other new one to suit different focal length lenses.
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

I have yet to play with different fl lenses on my modded K40. Marco said - a while back - don't bother, but I'm hearing so many people doing it that I 'm beginning to think I should...
Advice and experiences please.
Nick :?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

You may still use use long focus lens but be expecting very low speed on cutting for wood or acrylic. Nothing wrong with the tube but longer focus lens need more power to drive it. If you're using 75mm or 100mm for foam cutting, it is ok

Marco
brian257

Post by brian257 »

What lens do you have Nick? I have a 38.1, a 50.8, and the 63.5. The 38.1 is best for engraving and cutting thin material. I have also used it to cut 1/8" thick material and it does a good job. I use the 50.8 for cutting anything thicker, but hardly ever need it. I have not found anything that the 63.5 is better on so I don't use it anymore. I really wish Marco sold a 25.4 for finer engraving and cutting thin engraving stock.
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

I only have a 50.8 (well, several actually!). With patience I can cut 5mm - even 6mm - acrylic cleanly; though I have occasionally struggled to get through 3mm plywood in the past!
It also etches fairly well - but I've never had amazing results with my etching...
And no, Marco, I wouldn't dare cut foam!! My machine is in the house and Madam has a nose for burning plastic - she can get very upset even when I cut Perspex (which I think smells quite nice). :eek:
But I think I ought to try a 38.1 Marco... Over to the shop! :shock:
Nick
brian257

Post by brian257 »

Try the 38.1 Nick. You will be very happy with the results and will most likely not use your 50.4 anymore like me.

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”