Chinese Stepper motors and the LO-M415B Driver

Rob_hoppe

Chinese Stepper motors and the LO-M415B Driver

Post by Rob_hoppe »

Much confusion here, so bear with me a moment...I have a K40 that I am knee-deep into re-build using the new 708 LO upgrade kit. The confusion I am running into here is many faceted. First, I have steppers that are NOT the same as everyone on here. Searches through the forum prove this out. Second, the DSP upgrade manual produced by Marco have hook ups that are different based on the phases of my motor (I solved that by determining my A and B coils using a DMM) Third, the resistance of my windings does not prove out as stated in the manual. Fourth, Based on the information I have and using simple math, it looks like I'll burn out the motors or drivers first time I turn them on...

First, My X motor is a 42GYGH34907 and my Y is a 42BYGH48910. Based on what little info that is online, 42 is is the motor size (42mm) the BYGH is a hybrid stepper, the next digits are 34 and 48 respectively which correspond to the motor length (it does using a ruler) and the last three digits are the motor amperage (.907 and .910) So far so good.

Second, The upgrade book shows the drivers hooked up to the x and y motors differently) Fig 21 for the X motor corresponds to Fig 35 showing Blu to Blu (B+), White to Blu/Wh (B-), Red to Orng (A+), Yellow to Orng/Wh (A-) I have the same color wires coming off my motors (Blue, Red (phase 1), White, Yellow (Phase 2)) but seems out of phase when connected to the driver. The Y motor seems correct with the same color motor wires attached to the driver on Fig 39 (Red (A+), Blu, (A-), Yellow (B+), White (B-) This matches my finding when using a DMM on both my motors. So either X is messed up on Fig 21 or the X motor is color coded/wired different in the example. And X/Y motors have same colored wired but are wired differently...

Third, Measuring the resistance on my phase windings comes out to 3.5 Ohms, both sets of windings on both motors. Both of my drivers are driven by 24 volts as explained in the wiring diagram. Manual states in write-up under the Fig 35 for the X motor , "On the K40, the X motor is either 0.4A or 0.6A..." But according to motor specs and my translation of the model number, mine are 1 AMP. (And under Fig 38 for the Y motor, "For K40 it is commonly known that the Y motor is running at 1A) This seems to match my Y motor.)

Fourth, using Ohm's law, 24V/3.5 Ohms comes out the 6.8 Amps. Driver only passes a max of 1.5 amps settable via the dip switches. Can that possibly be right? Based on the my motor specs, the operate on 1 amp, not 6.8. Or am I missing something vital here? Do I just set the dips for the max amperage?

SO, does everyone have a different coil resistance on their motors which allows the settings to work? Or am I just messed up here? Someone please set me straight! I want maximum efficiency and setting to match my motors without burning up the motors (or the drivers).

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”