Fume Exhaust?

acuralegendz

Fume Exhaust?

Post by acuralegendz »

Hey guys hopefully we can share some ideas on getting a proper exhaust of our K40. Obviously our units came with a cheap exhaust fan that i used for about an hour until I realized it was garbage and was only taking about 1/4 of the fumes out of the box. I then went to Home Depot and bought an inline duct fan and some dryer ducting to run to my window in my basement. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncourt-Ind ... /100067594 .
This was only a minor improvement and still left me wanting more, I could still smell the fumes and see some smoke leaving the box. I returned the fan and kept the ducting. I now have my Shop Vac hooked up to the back and the exhaust from the shop vac is hooked to the ducting out the window. This works much better and I don't see and smoke, but I can still smell some fumes from extended cutting of wood. When I cut acrylic the smell is much worse and worries me. I know that it must be noxious so I have refrained from cutting anymore until I get a better exhaust system. So that leads me to my question, Whats everyone using for exhaust and have you done any modifications to the K40 its self to make the exhaust bettr, such as closing up holes and making the lid seal air tight??
NickWL

Re: Fume Exhaust?

Post by NickWL »

Yup. I recognise all of that!
I put a hole through my wall and an in-line duct fan with new flexible duct. For me too it was OK for a lot of things but not acrylic.
I went to a local printer who gave me an offcut of magnetic sheet (which he uses for printing magnetic signs), I cut this to fit round the lid overlapping the gap at top and sides. I also put anti-draught foam where the lid shuts against anything suitable.
A GREAT improvement but not yet perfect.
Next step is to fit a room extractor fan to another hole in the wall to deal with 'incidental' fumes. Fingers crossed!
Nick
:ugeek:
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

So has anyone found a decent and affordable solution for an exhaust fan? I think the solution that I see most often is the Harbor Freight "Mini Dust Collector" (which currently happens to be on sale), but also accompanying complaints that it's LOUD. Is there a better solution? I definitely need to buy "something" over the next week or so.

[My D40 AND the LO upgrades both are scheduled for delivery TODAY! Will be a busy evening tonight unboxing everything.]
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

hi there
the best solution is a 500CFM inline fan this inline fan ( on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Virtual-Sun-6-I ... 2ed6476610)
they are super quite and take out all the fumes. you need to reduce the intake and out flow to 4inch ( HD ductwork) .
greetings
waltfl

quote="jeckardt"]So has anyone found a decent and affordable solution for an exhaust fan? I think the solution that I see most often is the Harbor Freight "Mini Dust Collector" (which currently happens to be on sale), but also accompanying complaints that it's LOUD. Is there a better solution? I definitely need to buy "something" over the next week or so.

[My D40 AND the LO upgrades both are scheduled for delivery TODAY! Will be a busy evening tonight unboxing everything.][/quote]
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I used this one on my demo room:

http://www.amazon.com/Tjernlund-M-6-Boo ... xhaust+fan

It is noise only IF no duck host attached to the fan. But once a host is attached, it become more quiet. The suction power is quite good. I have a hose for 30ft long and raised up to the ceiling about 24ft high. If I drill a hole on the wall and without raising to that high, I am sure the performance will be much better

Marco
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

Thank you, guys! I greatly appreciate the recommendations.

Joe
Boostinben

Post by Boostinben »

Have a look into inline fans for indoor grow room ventilation. I stumbled across some on ebay and just ordered a 4" one they have high cfm ratings and are supposed to be pretty quiet. A lot of the ads include decible ratings ... I assume to be appealing to all the paranoid indoor tomatoe farmers :mrgreen: smile

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”