Larger tube for D40 or K40 (1000mm tube upgrade)

Tech_Marco

Re: Larger tube for D40

Post by Tech_Marco »

Update: K40 extension case

The prototype is completed. I'll get more info like dimension and weight soon

Marco
Attachments
K40DIM.jpg
Case1.jpg
Case2.jpg
Case3.jpg
Vegaman_Dan

Re: Larger tube for D40 or K40 (1000mm tube upgrade)

Post by Vegaman_Dan »

I would strongly advise adding a triangular gusset plate along one side that would then attach to the side of the K40 chassis. The amount of the extension you have there with only four screws inside the extension will create a lot of torque on the extension if it gets bumped. It sticks out far enough that I'd want to add protection. A triangular gusset would help prevent damaging an expensive laser tube.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It is not necessary. The cage isn't very heavy and four M4 screw is strong enough to hold it there. Even a big machine with bigger tube are sharing similar design on extension case.

Marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Update: 9 unit of the extension cage is coming on Friday. I'll post it soon for early bird purchase. $35 After that, it would be $45 each.

Marco
Boostinben

Post by Boostinben »

This is so cool Marco! good work, it is always nice to see someone take suggestion from customers and bring it to production. I am really tempted to purchase this right away, I am still only a few weeks in on using my k40 after upgrading it with your DSP upgrade kit and I am having a lot of fun with it as is... but this looks really cool.. ill have to check my hobby fund to see if I can swing it along with a 45w tube. :D
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

I'm in the same spot as Boostinbfn - but my hobby fund definitely won't take a 45 watt tube (and, I guess, a new, large PSU?) just yet. I SO want it but really must wait for my 35w to start deteriorating.
Nick
:cry:
Boostinben

Post by Boostinben »

Didn't even think about the psu... Marco, can you confirm all that is required to retrofit the higher power tube into the k40?

The tube extension
45w tube
Psu? (If so which one?)
Any other wiring?
Hardware? New tube mounts? Anything like that?

Thanks

-Ben
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

I'm not Marco, so you'll probably want independent confirmation from him, but when I spoke to Marco on this exact question a couple weeks ago when I was ordering a new PS to replace the stock one in my K40, he told me that the one listed as "20-40W" provides enough current for the 45W (1M) tube and has a lower threshold voltage than the 40-60W supply and so would do better for engraving. So if you have the "20-40W" supply from Marco already, you're probably good to go in that area.

[I am still working on my initial upgrade/rebuild, but have already ordered my cabinet extension (expect its delivery today) which I'll store a while until I'm ready to take the plunge to upgrade to the 45W tube -- I expect I'll do that later this year after I have a bit of experimental experience using the original tube.]

My understanding is that the only other thing that will have to change is the tube mounts -- need to lower them by 2.5mm to re-center the wider tube on the original optics path. I'm hoping Marco will eventually have a ready-made solution for those to offer, but if he doesn't it shouldn't be too difficult to machine off 2.5mm from the bottom of each of the existing mounts.

Joe
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Thanks Joe!

:P
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Boostinben wrote:Didn't even think about the psu... Marco, can you confirm all that is required to retrofit the higher power tube into the k40?

The tube extension
45w tube
Psu? (If so which one?)
Any other wiring?
Hardware? New tube mounts? Anything like that?

Thanks

-Ben
Ben:

To upgrade from the 32W stock laser to 40W (1000mm), you don't need to replace the laser power supply or wire. If you purchased the PSU from us, then you're totally ok with that power supply as the 40W PSU can output over 20mA where a 40W just need 18mA.

The only things that I'm concerning is the tube mount. The K40 has a fixed type mount and the tube of the 40W is 55mm instead of 50mm (I'll double check it). So, 5mm bigger in diameter means that it is 2.5mm higher on beam position . I need to pull out my duty K40 and will try to settle a 40W see how much height shifted. Another key thing to make the upgrade possible is how you cut a hole on the side wall of the K40 so that the tube can extend out from the case. I bought a grinder but I haven't had time to test it yet. Very busy here. But I'll try to find some time to do a test

Marco
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

Cutting the hole...

I recently purchased an air-powered nibbler from Harbor Freight -- think it was $20 on sale. I used that very successfully to cut several new holes in my K40 case, so it definitely could cut the hole for the extension. Of course I already had a shop compressor, so my buy-in was very low. This is the tool that I will definitely used to cut the hole for the extension. The only downside is that it cuts FAST, so you need to be careful to not overrun your cut line, but for the extension it'll all be inside and hidden so that should be much of a problem. It also consumes air pressure like crazy, so if you only have a small tank compressor (such as my 8gal), you end up cutting for a couple minutes then resting for 5mins while the compressor recovers.

I also have a hand nibble -- a Klein 7601 that I've had for years. Surprisingly, this hand tool could also cut the case. Wearing a glove to add some padding helps, and it's slow going, but you can also cut right up to a line without going over. Does require some patience.

You could actually do the entire job with the hand nibbler, but I estimate that would probably take over an hour and you'd definitely have a sore hand when you are done, but it would work and give a nice hole.

What *I* did for my big holes was a hybrid. I used the air-powered nibbler to cut from a pilot hole to reasonably close to the desired cut lines all away around and remove the bulk of the material in a single piece. Then I used the hand nibbler to take off the last 2-3mm right up to the line and clean up the hole. Finally, I used a file to smooth any roughness. Using this technique, the cut-out for the DSP 708 front panel took me about 30mins to cut start to finish, and most of that time was waiting for the compressor to catch its breath.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Learning something new today. Thank you for sharing. If I knew it earlier, I won't buy that grinder for handling this task. LOL..

Marco
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

I have one of the first batch of the cabinet extension. Generally, looks great! But have noticed one detail that could catch some unaware -- it looks like the mounting holes were hand-drilled without a template as they aren't even close to being square with each other. One of them is off by a 3-4mm (which is how I noticed this). This certainly doesn't adversely affect using the case, but it does mean you can't drill the mounting holes based upon a drawing or spec and have any hope of the actual holes aligning. The easiest approach is going to be to make a drilling template directly off the actual extension cage, then drill the case based upon that.

Joe
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

Marco, have you had a chance to do any further research on best way to lower the 55mm dia tube by 2.5mm?

I will definitely be placing my order for the 1M tube during your sale to proceed on this upgrade, so it's about time that I'll have to come up with a mounting solution.

Thanks,
Joe
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Sorry I haven't had time to do it yet. But, I already taken the K40 out from the shelves and ready to do the test

Marco

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”