Larger tube for D40 or K40 (1000mm tube upgrade)

jeckardt

Larger tube for D40 or K40 (1000mm tube upgrade)

Post by jeckardt »

Marco,

Back in Feb'14, in another unrelated thread, you mentioned you were working on a "cabinet extension" for the D40 that would allow using a 40W or 45W (1000mm) tube. Have you done anything further on this project? I'm about to buy D40, and I'd love to know that I'd be able to eventually get a decent power tube into this guy.

I note the original 35W tube in the D40 is 50mm dia, while the 40W and 45W are 55mm dia. Is that 2.5mm beam offset going to cause any problems, or is it still close enough to be accommodated by the existing optics?
acuralegendz

Re: Larger tube for D40

Post by acuralegendz »

I second this notion, would love to get a larger tube for thicker material cutting
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Sorry for late reply!

When I made the post that time, there was no one response to my post so I thought that no one was interested. Therefore, I didn't push out the project. If there are less than 20 orders, I don't think I will be able to make it as there is a minimum required from the shop. Plus, a buyer must be able to make a hole on the machine roughly 4" diameter or 4"x4" but I wasn't sure if they can handle it

If more folks are interested for the upgrade, I can resume the project. With 850mm or 1000mm tube, you can enjoy the deep cutting or faster cutting that left would left the 700~720mm tue for the dust :lol:

Marco
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

DEFINATELY interested! And I haven't any doubts that I can cut the necessary hole.
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Interested... But not until my K40 tube starts to fade.
I'd like to be ready to upgrade the moment that happens though.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Well noted. I have sent a request to my staff in China and asked him to contact the tooling shop who will come up a prototype soon. The extension cage is about 300mm long with 4x screws mount hole. On the side, there is an opening about 95mm wide

Will post an update here once I got the sample for testing

Marco
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

So presumably with the extension it'll accommodate a 45W 1000mm x 55mm tube?

Will the larger 55mm diameter require any modifications to how the tube is mounted?

[I have just today ordered my D40 and will be starting the updates immediately. Just want to make sure I don't do anything during the initial mods that will have to be re-done when I get this upgrade to a bigger tube.]
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

The diameter is a major issue when doing extension upgrade on the tube. The K40 has a fixed tube mounted and unless you can trim it down a little say 5mm, the extra height could be an issue.

Once I got spares time, I'll do some test. Recently we're very busy all my time have been booked up. I couldn't spare extra time on the K40 project but sure will do it once free

Marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Update:
Drawing is complete and price quote received
$42~$48

It is roughly 300mm long, the max length to fit a 1000mm (45W) tube into it. Customers need to make a hole on their K40 machine and that is the most difficult part need to do
The extension case will be painted in Blue color

Sample should be available in 20 days

Marco
Attachments
6a4cba282e717e43.jpg
265486c4ab60e591.jpg
265486c4ab60e591.jpg (121.12 KiB) Viewed 17870 times
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

I think the easiest way to make that hole may be to us an Air Nibbling Tool (assuming you have access to a shop compressor) similar to:

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-gauge-a ... 96661.html

It's going to throw a lot of metal bits around, so wear safety glasses and expect to do some clean up.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I'll be going this direction when this laser tube dies.

I was debating ways to do something like this, but with more of a full side piece to make a place to move the electrical components and make room to extend the X axis for longer cuts. Just thinking out loud here...
Blackcloud161

Post by Blackcloud161 »

I too am interested...
Cutting the case is not a big deal for me.. nor is spot welding any protective covers... (lots of exp working on classic Mustangs and Camaros)
but first I need to get past the install of DPS and my non standard Power Supply.
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Blackcloud - at the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs: DO DO DO take the electronics out of the cabinet before spot-welding to it.
I expect when welding Mustangs and the like you disconnected the battery and that was enough, inside a K40 the induced currents will be pretty horrific!
You probs know all this already, but it'll still serve as a warning to others! :ugeek:
Nick
Blackcloud161

Post by Blackcloud161 »

@NickWL
Good advise all around to remove all electronics when spot welding. Indeed the battery is disconnected on the cars I work on when spot welding. The current is localized to the weld BUT the one time one does not follow protocol is the time something screams like the Planet Alderaan before it pops.
...again good Spot NickWL! ;)
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

AND good advice for those of us who probably have no business owning a welder, save for mending fences and lawn furniture... The kind of guy who would just about burn down his garage to make an extension to the garage door rails... not that I would know anything about that.

For the record, the garage door no longer falls out of its tracks at the bottom and it was just some leaves that caught fire, no damage to the structure... hypothetically I mean... don't tell the wife.

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”