Larger tube for D40 or K40 (1000mm tube upgrade)

OzAdr1an

Re: Larger tube for D40 or K40 (1000mm tube upgrade)

Post by OzAdr1an »

Tim wrote:I was able to use the stock mounts and simply adjust the mirrors. Your mileage may vary.

-Tim
Cheers Tim. I've thought of trying that, my concern there would be that the beam then ends up out of plane if you aim it back to the center of the secondary and final mirrors.. so would need to make sure to aim 2.5mm above the center and then it would be off when hitting the final mirror in the head.

I could give it a go.. maybe I'm over thinking it. Shame marco isn't active on the threads about the upgrade and the old 55mm tubes... :\
Tim

Post by Tim »

I thought the same way before trying it. Give it a try then if you have to shim the mirrors and head, then go for it. You can also mill the mounts if you have a machine or know a machinist. Again, your setup could be different than mine. My machine is at least one and half years old.

As far as Marco is concerned, I think the advice given by users is pretty good. I think Marco only replies when he knows the answer, which is the way it should be for any poster. There is no guarantee that anyone's advice given on a forum is true and valid for all. I question every post and try to get a consensus if the advice seems shaky, or the result would end in death :-).

-Tim
OzAdr1an

Post by OzAdr1an »

Yes true. As for milling, its the other option I've considered.. but that means I'm screwed on a replacement, because Marco now ships 50mm tubes for the 45/50W .. so I'd then be in the opposite position come a replacement ;) My other consideration was getting some shims for the main work axis and the primary mirror.. so I raise them all 2.5mm.. more work, but leaves me able to fall back to the 50mm tube at a later date (although, to be honest, I'd probably have built a 600x400 by then myself.. so ... )

I just hate permanently modifying in any one particular direction. If Marco had replacement 'stock' mounts, I wouldn't worry.. but its probably the one 'replacement' part for a K40 he doesn't stock..

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”