update to upgrade

Kiwi53

update to upgrade

Post by Kiwi53 »

Hi all,
Well it was first power up since the DSP upgrade. Mains power up an all is good, (no smoking :) )
Then the laser test fire, good, quick check on pathway of laser an all good, close to centre of
lenses, got to test the final stage (cutting area) an nothing, had it lined up perfect and nothing
coming out of the laser head, looked closely an there was no lense or mirror in laser head :o ,
put the old head back on an pressto we have light (well beam) :geek: now all is good.

ps:- Marko,
the laser head (air assist) that came with the DSP upgrade kit, should that have a lense an a mirror
with it?????? Mine did not have one. :(

DSP upgrade kit for D/K40 small machine. this is the kit.

Thanks all for help in setting up laser.
Neil
NickWL

Re: update to upgrade

Post by NickWL »

No way! Those lenses COST, you don't get a freebie just by buying a lens-holder!
Take the lens from your old one and put it in the new one. Then order a decent one and a spare mirror or two from Marco against the day when you really need them.
Enjoy...
Nick
Kiwi53

Post by Kiwi53 »

Hi NickWL,
Sorry Nick if you are upset about the fact that I just asked Marko if the laser head mirror an lense came with the kit.
I am trying to find out from Marko what the situation is with the mirror an lense, "ARE they suppose to be with the kit OR not".
If they are supplied with the kit then I would like to have them, if not then I'll use my old ones from the other head.
Just waiting for Marko to reply to the Question.
Thank for the reply.
Neil
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

NO - not upset at all! I was just trying to emphasise a point!
So, to make it clear: the laser head is just a holder for the lens and mirror - it does not come with them pre-installed. There is a huge range of lenses (different focal lengths and and materials), ditto for the mirrors. Different users want different selections so it is up to the end-user to select (and purchase) according to taste and needs.
Hope this clears it up, and best of luck with your upgraded K40 - I've just installed a rotary bed and am starting on engraving glasses (they crack super-easily).
Nick
Kiwi53

Post by Kiwi53 »

Hi Nick.
ok np thanks for clearing that up, hope you are enjoying your new rotary an try not to break to many glasses :lol:
enjoy
Neil

PS:- Cleaned all the mirrors and found that the focus lense is scratchy,I know its 18-20 size lense,
eg: Improved 20mm ZnSe Focus lens (F50.8mm) like to know what the (F50.8mm) means, not sure
if is the focus length or size?????????????or what ever and which should I get, help would be gratefull.
Thanks
Neil
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

F50.8 means that the focal length is 50.8mm. You measure (or estimate, or calculate, or a mixture of all three) from the middle of the lens to the work-surface and set this distance to be 50.8mm.
It's the spot where all the death rays are brought to the tightest (smaller) possible spot giving you the highest energy density and the finest cutting line possible.
Don't aim for perfection, it's close to impossible on a (my) K40 - but you should be able to get pretty close.
Nick
Kiwi53

Post by Kiwi53 »

Hi,
Thanks Nick for the info, just have to work out the old lense length to order a new one. :ugeek:
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Diagram coming up:

ceiling light
card with slit, hole, pattern, whatever

I
I
I
I lens here
I
I
I
I
0 white paper here

The column of 'I' is a ruler with the zero at '0'.
Move lens up and down against the ruler until an image of your slit appears on the white paper (not very bright because these lenses don't transmit a lot of light - but enough.
Measure from white paper to lens (hence the ruler). This gives an approximate focal length.
Since these lenses only come in a very few sizes you should have no problem seeing which focal length matches your approximation.

Hope this helps.
Nick

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”