Rubber stamps

NickWL

Rubber stamps

Post by NickWL »

I've been asked if I can make rubber stamps on my K40.
Test firings weren't cutting deep enough - at least until I got to speed 75 and power 25 whereupon the rubber burst into flame!
The rubber material was a nondescript, random rubber sheet bought on eBay for stamp-making.

Has anyone got any experience of making rubber stamps and would you like to share some info ... please!
Tech_Marco

Re: Rubber stamps

Post by Tech_Marco »

Try use stronger air pressure, it may help to put away the frame out.
Make sure you have good ventilation when doing rubber, ABS, and PVC. Smoking is nasty
I like this fan, work very good for my machines running in the demo room
http://www.amazon.com/Tjernlund-M-6-Boo ... lation+fan

By the way, did you fix the current meter? Sorry I was in hurry so I haven't had time to send you the pig tail. If you still need it, I can ask my staff to send you one. My apology

Marco
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Many thanks Marco.
Yes, the two new current meter came with tails so I'm all up and running again. The DSP has made a huge difference and along with the z-table makes the whole thing feel like a 'real' laser cutter!
Now to experiment with rubber a bit more...
WoodChucksCNC

Post by WoodChucksCNC »

I have not tried rubber stamp material but I have seen some at the local hobby store. I believe it was Hobby Lobby.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/spe ... ck-521278/
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

I'm still struggling to find the right setting for my rubber stamp material - any hints will be greatly appreciated!
Vegaman_Dan

Post by Vegaman_Dan »

Late reply to this post, but I've been doing rubber stamps with the K40 and it is important to be using the right rubber. Rubber sheets for carving stamps will not work and will result in a bubbling and flaming mess, even with air assist. You need a rubber sheet designed for laser engravers. Thankfully it's very affordable and works very well.

I've been using this grey material for stamps with good success:

http://www.laserbits.com/stamp-products ... ubber.html
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Thanks for that Dan. The material I'm using was sold as a laser-able rubber and I suppose I ought to give it another go.
I'd be really interested to know what settings you used - and given the ten thousand different setups for the DSP on a K40, the CURRENT you used. I'm coming to think that current is a better guide than %ages and time (though these have their places too).
Any other tips about stamp-making would be helpful too, I'd really like to be able to make some for Christmas!
Nick

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”