Question on the diagram provided...

ciberbob

Question on the diagram provided...

Post by ciberbob »

Hi,
I am retrofitting my K40 Laser with Lightoject's DSP, i received a diagram with it, easy to follow...so far so good!
But i still have some questions about the mA display, where to connect, where does the main power comes from, water flow connects where and the power for the X axis... I made a little diagram with my question on it, so if someone could draw on it with the correct wiring that would be great!

Here it is: (I drew in purple where i made the corrections. I'll make a clean one after figuring it out, so everyone can use it)
Attachments
LaserMachineWiringDiagram2.jpg
lauckstreet

Re: Question on the diagram provided...

Post by lauckstreet »

I think this question comes up for everyone initially. I know I had the same question and finally found my answer in this posting: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1543

Basically you have 24v DC coming into the that small black part with the 6 pins on it. Then two wires on the output side go to the digital display, the blue and green wires from the digital display to to the laser power supply (blue wire) and the cathode (green wire).

The above posting has links to other postings on the subject with photos and drawings that should help you get it wired up.

On the power switch, I bought an inlet male socket (http://www.ebay.com/itm/400609110410?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT ) which is then wired to the stop switch (only the power wire, not both wires). The power wire (usually black or red) goes on one side of the stop switch and then a continuing wire goes on the other side of the switch. You can use a ohm meter to test which two connections are normally closed on the switch. When you press the switch, it cuts power and stops everything.

Hope this helps,

Bob
ciberbob

Post by ciberbob »

Hi Bob,
Thank you for your answer, it somewhat answer the question about the mA metter... (just need to reread it again, will post a picture of the cable routing to make sure...)

But i'm still not too sure about the rest:

- Water Sensor: Where to connect, and also should it be inline of the inlet or outlet tubing?
- X stepper: Gets power from the PSU the same way as the Y stepper?
- The main power goes the PSU and the Laser PSU?
- Emergency shut off: Turns off the whole machine or the PSU or the Laser PSU?

One last thing is there a way to have the compressor (for the head) and the air blower (to extract the fumes) as well as the water pump to be controlled by the AWC608, so it goes on/off when the laser is actually cutting/engraving?

Thank you!

Olivier
ciberbob

Post by ciberbob »

Hello!
I "modified" the diagram for rewiring the K40 with the DSP from Lighobject as follow:

- Added the power for the X stepper
- Added the Digital mA reader (with the 24V to 5V converter)
- Added the water flow reader (Not 100% sure about that one)
- Added the Main power switch
- Added the Emergency power switch

Am i missing something?

I powered up the machine last night, everything seems to work...not smoke, no sparks! Yes!

Now, I still have a problem, when the machine is turned on, it goes up and left, but never touches the micro switch (X or Y)...
If i turn the machine off and on again, the gantry moves down and right for about 10 mm in both direction (to the right and down) and does that every time the machine is turned on/off (On the DSP it always reads X=0.000 Y=0.000 no matter where the gantry is...)

Am i missing something here? Am i the only one? I remember when the machine was running with Moshidraw, the gantry would go up and left, hit the micro switch and move down and right to about 10mm...

Thank you for your patience...

Olivier
Attachments
LaserMachineWiringDiagram2.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Make sure to check "HOME on power" on LaserCad parameter setup
See images attached

Also, make sure you're using "Normally Opened" N.O. on the limit switch. Push button and it provide closed contact. Release and will break the contact.

Check X and Y limit switch as sometimes (even me) could get X & Y swapped by mistake. It ended up that the XY won't stop properly.

Marco
Attachments
DSP_HOME.jpg
DSP_HOME.jpg (123.3 KiB) Viewed 6153 times
ciberbob

Post by ciberbob »

Hi Marko,
I have that "Home On Power" checked, i will double check the micro switch to make sure they are Normally Open as soon as i get home.

Now when i power up the machine, the gantry goes Up and Left and doesn't touche the Micro Switch but stops before them...is that normal?

Thank you

Olivier

(PS) Is the above schematic correct? (If it is, feel free to use it)
ciberbob

Post by ciberbob »

Ok found what was the problem, thank you Marko and Bob too!
I assumed that the micro switch were connected as N O (Normally Open) but they were N C (Normally Close)...my bad!

Now it homes perfectly!

Thanks again Marko and Bob!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Olivier, the schemetic looks fine to me. Do you have bigger size picture to share. Current the image size is so small and I can't see the terminal clear

Thx
Marco
ciberbob

Post by ciberbob »

Hi Marco,
I'm working on a higher resolution...i'll get it to you asap.

Olivier
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

ciberbob wrote:Hello!
I "modified" the diagram for rewiring the K40 with the DSP from Lighobject as follow:

- Added the power for the X stepper
- Added the Digital mA reader (with the 24V to 5V converter)
- Added the water flow reader (Not 100% sure about that one)
- Added the Main power switch
- Added the Emergency power switch

Olivier
Thank you so much for this! After going through post after post trying to piece it all together with the instructions provided... this made everything perfectly clear in a glance! If I'd found this first, I might have finished the wiring tonight!
Boostinben

Post by Boostinben »

Olivier,

Great update to the Diagram, it is much appreciated and is helping me a ton as my conversion kit just showed up. A higher resolution version would be awesome, I have a couple doubts or questions that I think would be cleared up with a high res version. In the meantime maybe you can help answer them here?

One is what is the Blue circle connected to the terminal 3 and 4 on the PSU?

Two on the 24 to 5v converter for the Ma display do you only use the 4 of 6 pins?

thanks! and look forward to the updated version

-Ben
Boostinben

Post by Boostinben »

Just realized after reading through the blue circle is a water sensor.

I am not certain I have one or not on my k40 .. Anyone have a photo of the sense or on the machine? Where should it be located?

Ben
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

hi there
the watersensor should be located somewhere on the water line . it looks like the picture
gretings and happy new year to all
waltfl
Attachments
waterswitch.JPG
Boostinben

Post by Boostinben »

Thanks waltf!

I figured I didn't have one on my machine but just wanted to be sure.

Ben
WarpedMindGames

Post by WarpedMindGames »

I am a total newb when it comes to electronics and think I have jumped into the deep end, not knowing how to swim. I'm looking at the diagram, which is awesome btw, and can read it sorta well. My question is that I am seeing that some of the ground wires and power wires seem to come together or join up somewhere or go to 2 places. For instance,When looking at the stepper motors, I see a ground coming out of the stepper controller (marked GND) then goes to a T junction that splits to the Y stepper motor ground AND the the DC PSU ground. Does this mean I route both wires to the same ground point? and if so, the other item i see that is confusing is that power line from the main switch goes to both the N (or terminal 2) on the DC PSU....AND....to the AC (terminal 2) on the laser PSU....how do I make this happen?

I've gotten all the lines down that look like they have a single wire going from 1 terminal to the another, but the multiple wire thing is throwing me.....please help

Also, Marco..I asked for a quote on the replacement panel to mount my new color display, stop button and digital readout and was told they don't make them anymore that I can make my own. My laser was broken before the upgrade and I can't seem to find a template for the super awesome one you made....help me out here too!

I just wanted to add that I spent over $800 for this awesome tech headache! It's been 3 days and the peanut gallery is beginning to lose confidence in me.

Thanks in advance folks,

Warped Mind Games

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”