Concerned about ground on new k40

Pixelbender

Concerned about ground on new k40

Post by Pixelbender »

Hi all,

I've got a new k40 and the LO DSP kit. I was going to test the k40 before ripping out all the original electronics. I am worried, however, about the ground situation.

It has a 3 prong grounded plug but how can I be sure it is grounded? I've got non-grounded outlets in my house and I don't know if I should run a ground to the outlet and make it a proper outlet or just run the ground wire directly to the case.

What were people's experiences with new k40s? When you put in the DSP kit how do you know you grounded it correctly?
Thanks.
waltfl

Re: Concerned about ground on new k40

Post by waltfl »

hi there
just run a extra ground to the casing in the back and use another main power strip.
greetings
waltfl

Pixelbender wrote:Hi all,

I've got a new k40 and the LO DSP kit. I was going to test the k40 before ripping out all the original electronics. I am worried, however, about the ground situation.

It has a 3 prong grounded plug but how can I be sure it is grounded? I've got non-grounded outlets in my house and I don't know if I should run a ground to the outlet and make it a proper outlet or just run the ground wire directly to the case.

What were people's experiences with new k40s? When you put in the DSP kit how do you know you grounded it correctly?
Thanks.
Pixelbender

Post by Pixelbender »

Thanks for your reply Walt.

Just a reference for those searching in the future...

I ended up not testing it with the mosh board and dove right in to ripping everything out to replace with the DSP kit. With everything out I could see the grounded pin on the 110 in plug was grounded to the ground post on the back of the case with a yellow wire. There were also several other yellow wires from that ground pot to DC and Laser power supplies (note not all yellow wires in my laser were ground, they used yellow for laser tube negative as well).

I checked with a meter and all grounds were solid. Note you can't test just to a painted area of the frame as the paint is an insulator.

For reference my k40 laser was bought in late 2013 from Automation technologies in Chicago.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Keep updating us how your conversion is going on.
Hope everything is doing good.

Marco

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”