Failure to Communicate

wrench

Failure to Communicate

Post by wrench »

I have the Laser wired up and ready to test run but need LaserCad v6.88 to the DSP/AWC 608 Communications.

I have tried to setup using 4 different laptops so far. 32 bit to 64bit, Win7 to WinXP and nothing works.

The display on the Laser lights up when I connect a USB cable from the Laptop without powering (115VAC) on the Laser (USB to USB) The Display resets and after
a couple of minutes the Lasercad screen opens. I follow the Installation instructions selecting USB Mode but keep getting 'Communicating unsuccessful'.

- Does the Laser need to be powered on (115VAC) before I try to setup Lasercad?

-Do I use a USB to USB Cable to connect or some other type?

-I know the old Compaq Laptop I am using now has 5v USB ports (if that matters)

Any ideas?
waltfl

Re: Failure to Communicate

Post by waltfl »

hi there
try another USB cabel and another jack on your computer. I know from experience that some usb jacks on especially laptops do not work. check on your computer if the usb ports are enabled.
no the laser don't need to be powered up for the setup.
you need the original usb cable what came with the DSP a printer cable does not work.
greetings
waltfl

wrench wrote:I have the Laser wired up and ready to test run but need LaserCad v6.88 to the DSP/AWC 608 Communications.

I have tried to setup using 4 different laptops so far. 32 bit to 64bit, Win7 to WinXP and nothing works.

The display on the Laser lights up when I connect a USB cable from the Laptop without powering (115VAC) on the Laser (USB to USB) The Display resets and after
a couple of minutes the Lasercad screen opens. I follow the Installation instructions selecting USB Mode but keep getting 'Communicating unsuccessful'.

- Does the Laser need to be powered on (115VAC) before I try to setup Lasercad?

-Do I use a USB to USB Cable to connect or some other type?

-I know the old Compaq Laptop I am using now has 5v USB ports (if that matters)

Any ideas?
wrench

Post by wrench »

The cable that came with the DSP has a USB A on one end and a USB B type on the other end.
I have tried the cable with the USB A in Display and USB B in Computer and the other way around with the USA B in Display and USB A in Computer and the Display will not power up.
BUT if I use a regular USB A to USB A cable I can get the display to power on.
I am not sure what else to try...but I will Keep at it.
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

hi there
now I got a problem what du you mean by " connected to the display?? do you mean the DSP right???
the display is actually the part with the little blue screen and the DSP ( AWC608) is the silver box where all the connection for the motor driver, the laser power supply etc. go.
the USB-B connector goes in the DSP (AWC608) and the USB-A goes in the computer. how you get the USB-B connector in your computer?????
you should post picture of you connection on the machine here.
greetings
waltfl

wrench wrote:The cable that came with the DSP has a USB A on one end and a USB B type on the other end.
I have tried the cable with the USB A in Display and USB B in Computer and the other way around with the USA B in Display and USB A in Computer and the Display will not power up.
BUT if I use a regular USB A to USB A cable I can get the display to power on.
I am not sure what else to try...but I will Keep at it.
wrench

Post by wrench »

Meant DSP not Display...Computer to DSP to Display.
I have a USB B port on my VERY old Compaq Laptop.
I am now going to try an install using a Desktop Computer with the USB B plugged into the DSP and the USB A into the Desktop Computer.
wrench

Post by wrench »

I seem to have it sorted using Lasercad 6.71 but I have to have all three cables connected. When I click 'FindCom' it comes back as a 4. It's the only way anything works.

I am going to set the parameters and settings to see if this is going to work.

Question, Do I enter what is in the Manual into the Lasercad software or is Lasercad already setup/programed for these 40w lasers?
wrench

Post by wrench »

O.K I have Lasercad v6.88 running and can control the laser x and y using Lasercad but the laser is firing as soon as I turn the laser on. I have played around for hours now and can not find where or how to turn it off.
My analog meter reads 30Ma as soon as I turn laser on.
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

hi there
do you need to be more specific if you say "turn the laser on" you mean the machine or the laser?
do not turn it on if you meter reads more then 18mA because you will destroy the tube within minutes.
download lasercad v.6.81 not 6.88.
does your display button work that's what you should use to move the X and Y and also with the laser button fire the laser.
the laser ( beam) should never stay on on its own, maybe you have mixed up some wires or settings.
post picture from you machine wire connections
greetings
waltfl

wrench wrote:O.K I have Lasercad v6.88 running and can control the laser x and y using Lasercad but the laser is firing as soon as I turn the laser on. I have played around for hours now and can not find where or how to turn it off.
My analog meter reads 30Ma as soon as I turn laser on.
wrench

Post by wrench »

do you need to be more specific if you say "turn the laser on" you mean the machine or the laser?
When Laser machine turned on,the laser is firing a laser beam
do not turn it on if you meter reads more then 18mA because you will destroy the tube within minutes.I changed a wire from the Power Supply which is shown on this threadhttp://www.lightobject.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1458 and now when the Laser Machine is turned on with the laser beam still firing the meter now shows only around 14 mA
download lasercad v.6.81 not 6.88.The last email I received from Marco only had the 6.88 Lasercad and I figured that I should be using it,so that is what I am trying to setup. How do I get the v6.81?
does your display button work that's what you should use to move the X and Y and also with the laser button fire the laser.Yes. But I wanted to see if the Lasercad software was connecting to the Laser Machine.
the laser ( beam) should never stay on on its own, maybe you have mixed up some wires or settings.Yes, this is what I also suspect. I connected the Power Supply wiring according to this thread...viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1458 but as you can see from the attached diagram I am including is that TH on the P.S connects with #4 TTL on the DSP where it shows in the manual that the connection should be as shown in the lower diagram. I am not sure what changes I should make here.
I hope this all made sense.
Attachments
Laser Wiring nov2913.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

To Wrench

I think I explained to you before that your connection was wrong. You don't want to connect +5V to the "In" as that is supposed to connect to the PWM output from the DSP controller. The connection diagram I sent you clearly showing the connection and `m wondering why didn't you follow it for the connection. Connecting+5v to the "In" will trigger the PS to fire in full power, dangerous

LaserCad 6.81 or 6.8i has nothing to do with your issue. You need to use TL instead of TH. Please review the connection and try it again. I'm worrying that you may damage the controller as you injected 5v from the laser power supply to the DSP output port PWM.

Looking forward to see a correct connection. Keep posting news to update us and we will help you as much as we can

Marco
(in China, will be back on 6th)

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”