Help for a laser newbie

eatingsmalls

Help for a laser newbie

Post by eatingsmalls »

Hi friends,

I have been lurking here for awhile, pouring through the topics to get my k40 laser conversion completed. I started back in August and have everything wired according to the wonderful diagrams here. I have several roadblocks I am trying to burst through and after scratching my head and working for awhile I thought i would seek some help.

1. TTL led does not come on unless the WP short is removed from power supply
2. Laser led does not light up when machine is turned on, until i press the laser button on controller, but even when the light is on no laser fires

I have the DSP conversion kit and I just placed a new laser tube from light object.
I have the machine grounded to an 8 foot ground rod I drove beside my work space, everything is grounded to this. I read somewhere the 24v psu should be grounded seperate from the rest of the machine so this afternoon I will be driving an additional ground rod to make sure everything stays seperated. The psu did come set to 220 v but I switched to 120v before firing up the first time. I also bought a new high quality laser psu which was set to 220 v and I switched that over before first powerup. I have all the accesories (lights, fans, pumps) running independently of the laser components. Any help or ideas on this would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks Aaron
waltfl

Re: Help for a laser newbie

Post by waltfl »

hi aaron
post a few good picture of your wiring this make it easier to pinpoint the problem
greetings
waltfl

eatingsmalls wrote:Hi friends,

I have been lurking here for awhile, pouring through the topics to get my k40 laser conversion completed. I started back in August and have everything wired according to the wonderful diagrams here. I have several roadblocks I am trying to burst through and after scratching my head and working for awhile I thought i would seek some help.

1. TTL led does not come on unless the WP short is removed from power supply
2. Laser led does not light up when machine is turned on, until i press the laser button on controller, but even when the light is on no laser fires

I have the DSP conversion kit and I just placed a new laser tube from light object.
I have the machine grounded to an 8 foot ground rod I drove beside my work space, everything is grounded to this. I read somewhere the 24v psu should be grounded seperate from the rest of the machine so this afternoon I will be driving an additional ground rod to make sure everything stays seperated. The psu did come set to 220 v but I switched to 120v before firing up the first time. I also bought a new high quality laser psu which was set to 220 v and I switched that over before first powerup. I have all the accesories (lights, fans, pumps) running independently of the laser components. Any help or ideas on this would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks Aaron
eatingsmalls

Post by eatingsmalls »

I am sorry it took me so long to get back with pictures of my wiring. I have been thoroughly busy at work and probably will be the next couple of days though I will hopefully have time off this weekend. Here are pictures

Thanks Aaron
ivantandy

Post by ivantandy »

k40wireAC.jpg
I have the same components and also have same problems with laser not firing from run file when connected to low i.e. TTL using PWM from AWC608 DSP

The laser LED indicator light will alight after laser is switched on from manual entry... this I consider to be normal; else you and have same problem.

I can fire the laser in L (TL, TTL) from TEST button as PWM signal.

If I select high in LaserCAD laser fires high and sustained. I have to use stop switch to kill power.

If I run a file the laser does not fire but the file runs the x/y course normally and returns to zero...

How have you wired the power from plug? Where do the wires from the switch go?

To which component have you connected your AC110 ground connect?

I have my switch wires going to V+ and COM on the AC-DC 24V PSU and then i connect to AC AC G on laser 110PSU from V and COM...chassis GND to both PSU(s)

<edit March29> Laser not firing in ttl (low) due to problem with 40W PSU> fix is to adjust frequency/ or switch unit to 220V

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”