making use of the dck40 after an upgrade

twosoc

making use of the dck40 after an upgrade

Post by twosoc »

Hey guys. I'm trying to make use of the old laser as I've upgraded to a bigger one I've cobbled together, so don't need the old machine. I wanted to give it to my cousin whos really keen to get into the hobby, butv the original moshiboard mustn't have liked being stored in a shed for a year, and doesn't seem to work properly now.
So. I bought one of these (New version 2 Axis CNC/ Laser Machine Stepping Motor Controller (TB6560).)
I've managed to get mach3 to speak to it now, it took a while, but we got there, but it wont seem to drive the motors, it will judder every now and then but won't do anything useful.
I'm using the original power board that came with the machine, its this one Image

Do I need anything else? It seems to power the board ok, but do
i need anything inbetween the TB56560 and the motors, like a stepper controller?

Any help you can provide will be great as I'm floundering in the dark here.
cheer,s
tim.
waltfl

Re: making use of the dck40 after an upgrade

Post by waltfl »

hi there
sure every stepper motor need a driver if you use the moshiboard they are included there ( most problem) but if you use some other controller then you need a extra driver.
greetings
waltfl

twosoc wrote:Hey guys. I'm trying to make use of the old laser as I've upgraded to a bigger one I've cobbled together, so don't need the old machine. I wanted to give it to my cousin whos really keen to get into the hobby, butv the original moshiboard mustn't have liked being stored in a shed for a year, and doesn't seem to work properly now.
So. I bought one of these (New version 2 Axis CNC/ Laser Machine Stepping Motor Controller (TB6560).)
I've managed to get mach3 to speak to it now, it took a while, but we got there, but it wont seem to drive the motors, it will judder every now and then but won't do anything useful.
I'm using the original power board that came with the machine, its this one Image

Do I need anything else? It seems to power the board ok, but do
i need anything inbetween the TB56560 and the motors, like a stepper controller?

Any help you can provide will be great as I'm floundering in the dark here.
cheer,s
tim.
twosoc

Post by twosoc »

even with one of these? I was under the impression it had built in drivers.
http://www.lightobject.com/New-version- ... -P505.aspx
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

hi there
sorry I never used this kind of controller driver . it seems to be that there are the driver build in .
greetings
waltfl

twosoc wrote:even with one of these? I was under the impression it had built in drivers.
http://www.lightobject.com/New-version- ... -P505.aspx
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

That TB6560 board came with two Toshiba motor driver chip. It is good enough to drove the K40 motors as it can support up to 2.5A peak current. This board is widely used in small CNC machine and it could suupport up to 1/16 resolution. I used it for K40 conversion that support G-Code under Kcam or Mach3. But doing so only capable to do cutting as Mach3 can't handle engraving well. One may be able to do outline engraving making characters or making square or circle box using low power cutting.

This board is a custom made board that I have requested to add output port for controlling laser. Unlike those board selling on eBay with low quality and easy to burn, this board save you a lot of trouble especailly when doing wire for the Laser. Those boards selling on ebay come without optical isolation and no dc-dc power module but using LM7812 and LM7815 two stages step down voltage from 24V. It is bulky, high heat dissipation, but low low. A friend of mine bought two and both die within 2 weeks but unable to return it back to Hong Kong.

If anyone interested it, you can find the manual I posted on the Download Section.

Marco
twosoc

Post by twosoc »

Thanks, Marco, does the manual have tips on upgrading the k40 with this? I might get a spare as mine wasn't the upgraded version. I can't seem to get mine to drive the motors, they lock but won't move.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

On the manual I didn't mention "laser" feature too much but, I did make a few post on this forum to explain "How to". You can do a search on the forum using the keyword "TB6560".

It's all about using the change of "Z" direction (output +5v or 0v) to trigger a laser power supply to simulate the "firing" action. I made use of on board relay to serve as safety guard to protect laser from firing when someone mistakenly press the "Up" or "Dn" key on the keyboard. FYI, by pressing "Up" or "Dn", it change the Z direction

Marco

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”