Correct 24V DC power supply for K40 upgrade?

ivantandy

Correct 24V DC power supply for K40 upgrade?

Post by ivantandy »

I purchased the following : DC 24V 5A Switching Power Supply. Good for CNC stepping motor and water pump
http://www.lightobject.com/DC-24V-5A-Sw ... -P579.aspx

I look on LO and find the 24V 36V dual 10A is recommended for DSP
http://www.lightobject.com/Dual-DC-36V- ... -P712.aspx

Is the one I have ideal for the the DSP and k40 application?
waltfl

Re: Correct 24V DC power supply for K40 upgrade?

Post by waltfl »

hi there
if you wana use the 24V power supply for all ( stepper driver, DSP,) the this is not enough you would need at least the 24V/10A
greetings
waltfl

ivantandy wrote:I purchased the following : DC 24V 5A Switching Power Supply. Good for CNC stepping motor and water pump
http://www.lightobject.com/DC-24V-5A-Sw ... -P579.aspx

I look on LO and find the 24V 36V dual 10A is recommended for DSP
http://www.lightobject.com/Dual-DC-36V- ... -P712.aspx

Is the one I have ideal for the the DSP and k40 application?
Toasty

Post by Toasty »

I'm not in front of my machine right now so I can't check but isn't the 24V 5A power supply the one that comes with the dsp kit to power the steppers and the dsp? I could be wrong. I'll check mine when I get to the shop this morning.
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

hi
yes but some people experience some problems with this
greetings
waltfl

Toasty wrote:I'm not in front of my machine right now so I can't check but isn't the 24V 5A power supply the one that comes with the dsp kit to power the steppers and the dsp? I could be wrong. I'll check mine when I get to the shop this morning.
ivantandy

Post by ivantandy »

I expect that using the 10A would be best if another stepper for z-height bed is added. Although in my case the 5A seems very capable of handling the steppers directly and switches through the DSP. I do have problem where my TL will not fire the laser and is probably unrelated since it can fire TH. So, what kind of problems have people seen with the 5A? Perhaps issues with higher speeds and thicker materials...
Toasty

Post by Toasty »

waltfl wrote:yes but some people experience some problems with this
Yup, I just checked mine and it's the 5a version. Great to hear people have problems with it. :cry:

So far it's working fine on mine. Hopefully it stays that way for a while.

I gotta stop reading this forum. Every time I log on I read something that's potentially wrong with my setup. :|
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

Hi there
ok just take the consumption:
2x driver 2x 1.5A = 3A
1x DSP 1.5A
total basic setup = 4.5A
now if you have a water pump on this you already over the limit, another stepper for rotary or z lift brings you already to 6A
just from experience
greetings
waltfl

ivantandy wrote:I expect that using the 10A would be best if another stepper for z-height bed is added. Although in my case the 5A seems very capable of handling the steppers directly and switches through the DSP. I do have problem where my TL will not fire the laser and is probably unrelated since it can fire TH. So, what kind of problems have people seen with the 5A? Perhaps issues with higher speeds and thicker materials...
ivantandy

Post by ivantandy »

Thanks Waltfl! That is clear as a bell gonna mean more shopping soon. For the record the 24VDC 5A that I have came with the K40 upgrade kit and as I said earlier its perfectly adequate for the minimal setup which I am just now running for a week.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Nothing wrong with Walt calculation as he was using the 'peak' power for each power consumption. To be more realistic, here is what I found:

X motor: 0.5A
Y motor: 0.9A
LCD + mainboard: 0.8A or closed as I did measure it with a DVM. I will double check again.
Z table: 1.2A

So, the mini current is: 3.4A

Note, 1.5A is a peak output from the 2M415. But the rms current that needed for driving the K40 is merely 0.4A and 0.9A

So, a 24V, 5A power supply (70% of the rated current = 3.5A, to be safe and not causing over heated ), it should be fine in most case. However, if the motors are different than the original motors from K40, some motors installed could be 0.8A/1.2A instead. For a custom motor like what Walt's did, two motors would drive me than 2.5A! For example, a small motor with higher torque on my site could use up to 1.5A. Plus, there is a little power consumption by the motor driver, possible 0.1A on each. Taking all into account, the total current may be over the 5A and voltage drop could happen.

In general, the 24V, 5A will work fine. If power drop happened seriously, you will encounter 'missing step' or backlash happened on the machine because of not enough current to generate the torque. So, Toasty, no panic if your system is working now and it should work without worry.

Marco
Toasty

Post by Toasty »

Tech_Marco wrote:In general, the 24V, 5A will work fine. So, Toasty, no panic if your system is working now and it should work without worry.
Good to hear! I figured it wasn't that big of a deal. I've been using mine for months and I've never had a problem.
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

yes that's what is happen I like to be on the over safe side that's why I take the peak power because there is where problems starting.
but many now especially with the super offer from marco wana ad the Z lift table and some other gadgets then it gets a bit crowded on the current site.
marco is right I had and quite a few of my guys change the stepper motor to the next higher version because they are more reliable but take more power.
greetings
waltfl

Tech_Marco wrote:Nothing wrong with Walt calculation as he was using the 'peak' power for each power consumption. To be more realistic, here is what I found:

X motor: 0.5A
Y motor: 0.9A
LCD + mainboard: 0.8A or closed as I did measure it with a DVM. I will double check again.
Z table: 1.2A

So, the mini current is: 3.4A

Note, 1.5A is a peak output from the 2M415. But the rms current that needed for driving the K40 is merely 0.4A and 0.9A

So, a 24V, 5A power supply (70% of the rated current = 3.5A, to be safe and not causing over heated ), it should be fine in most case. However, if the motors are different than the original motors from K40, some motors installed could be 0.8A/1.2A instead. For a custom motor like what Walt's did, two motors would drive me than 2.5A! For example, a small motor with higher torque on my site could use up to 1.5A. Plus, there is a little power consumption by the motor driver, possible 0.1A on each. Taking all into account, the total current may be over the 5A and voltage drop could happen.

In general, the 24V, 5A will work fine. If power drop happened seriously, you will encounter 'missing step' or backlash happened on the machine because of not enough current to generate the torque. So, Toasty, no panic if your system is working now and it should work without worry.

Marco

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”