Laser Damage Repairable?

dubstar_04

Laser Damage Repairable?

Post by dubstar_04 »

I have been using the laser for a few hours today and then it started smoking. i opened the read of the device and the end of the laser tube has come free. Can i glue this back on?

Thanks,

Dan
Tech_Marco

Re: Laser Damage Repairable?

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes, get some heat transefer glue. It is about $18 for 90oz

Marco
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

Hi dan
sorry if I destroy your wish but forget it to re-clue the cooling chamber of a laser tube , first the reason for the damage was overheating thru cooling water was not cool enough or did not flow at all.
this chamber is original precise glued on together with the lens and in 99% of all cases ( about 45 till now ) if the chamber came off the lense did let some or all of the tube gas out too.
the tube will never work right if at all.
just order a new one and safe you a headache.
sorry
waltfl

dubstar_04 wrote:I have been using the laser for a few hours today and then it started smoking. i opened the read of the device and the end of the laser tube has come free. Can i glue this back on?

Thanks,

Dan
dubstar_04

Post by dubstar_04 »

waltfl wrote:Hi dan
sorry if I destroy your wish but forget it to re-clue the cooling chamber of a laser tube , first the reason for the damage was overheating thru cooling water was not cool enough or did not flow at all.
this chamber is original precise glued on together with the lens and in 99% of all cases ( about 45 till now ) if the chamber came off the lense did let some or all of the tube gas out too.
the tube will never work right if at all.
just order a new one and safe you a headache.
sorry
waltfl

dubstar_04 wrote:I have been using the laser for a few hours today and then it started smoking. i opened the read of the device and the end of the laser tube has come free. Can i glue this back on?

Thanks,

Dan
I glued it back on using superglue and then a coat of epoxy resin. It seems to be working fine.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Not a good idea to use super glue as it won't transfer heat from the mirror to the water cooling block.
The mirrors could be damaged by over-heated sooner or later. Just pay more attenton to the water temperature to make sure it is low enough to offset the possible issue

Marco
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

hi there
marco is totally right the superglue does not let the heat transfer go thru.
I got another point by the looks of your mirror /lens it seams that this is already heavy damaged.
this lens should look like a shiny semi transparent gold mirror but yours look like already greyisch
what means this is gone and not usable for serious work maybe a bit of engraving.
greetings
waltfl

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”