K40 upgrade pass

ivantandy

K40 upgrade pass

Post by ivantandy »

Original PS not Lightobject PS on K40 IV. The Wp light is very dim and flickers... it comes on bright momentarily with a click immediately at power on... wp is shorted to gnd / TL light does not alight. TEST button on PS does not fire laser/ Laser button on interface does not either. I read but could clarify marco's suggestion to someone else about AC ground vs. DC ground and therefore the 24V should not be connected to the chassis. The wiring diagram seems to suggest wire chassis to Grnd pn 24V and from FG on PS to chassis. Perhaps my Laser Power supply is poorly ground... actual water pump is original and functions. although the AC fuse is not blown and all other DSP functions seem to work no laser fires/ specific ground to earth wiring suggestions anyone?
Last edited by ivantandy on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
waltfl

Re: K40 upgrade fail- any suggestions

Post by waltfl »

Hi there
if your PS does not fire at all its another reason then the ground . the TLlight only comes on when a signal from the DSP comes in.
if the test botton on the PS does not work you have ether a faulty tube ( check the wire connection on the tube, red to end connector of the tube, blue or black wire to the other wire coming out of the PS, not to ground) or your PS is blown and you need a new one.
greetings
waltfl

quote="ivantandy"]Original PS not Lightobject PS on K40 IV. The Wp light is very dim and flickers... it comes on bright momentarily with a click immediately at power on... wp is shorted to gnd / TL light does not alight. TEST button on PS does not fire laser/ Laser button on interface does not either. I read but could clarify marco's suggestion to someone else about AC ground vs. DC ground and therefore the 24V should not be connected to the chassis. The wiring diagram seems to suggest wire chassis to Grnd pn 24V and from FG on PS to chassis. Perhaps my Laser Power supply is poorly ground... actual water pump is original and functions. although the AC fuse is not blown and all other DSP functions seem to work no laser fires/ specific ground to earth wiring suggestions anyone?[/quote]
ivantandy

Re: K40 upgrade fail upgraded to pass

Post by ivantandy »

Thanks to waltfl for good advice: begin at the beginning... and to hardshoe for feedback on laserpower %

1) Simplified wiring and verified connections 2) Eliminated 100mA meter and shunt wiring which I had connected to 5V on Laser PSU

Baseline: Laser fires at preset power from TEST button Laser and WP LED fully on.

Cooling water level too low pump was drawing air: Added distilled to reservoir= Increased waterflow better water exit from tube behavior > nice bubble

Connected DSP to 24V. Did not verify 24V power supply output indeed 24V created test rectangle ran file... 27mm(X) x 123mm(Y) [def. step probs]

Low power TL in 12-15% range delivered a very nice line but once I changed values from Interface to 30%Power laser firing random. Origin issues!

Although basic wiring remains a factor I suspect the K40 IV power supply delivery of Low Power TL signal with DSP (12-15% range) is dodgy. I changed the max power in LaserCad to 30% file would run but laser did not fire right away as laser head moved around- USER issues that I will solve soon.

Thus it is clear I still have possible issues with either soft origin/and dip settings or both and wiring to Xmotor... need to read through posts again ...

I referred to the SZ80PowerSupply manual even though i don't have this model (i don't what I have actually) I see the 5V makes a connection across all from TTL through G when closed with INput is the analog ) is 0-5V in the general diagram... perhaps I created a problem with pwm by connecting the V+ for my 3digit digital meter in the 5V... it does seem to receive feedback at Power on and hovers between O and 1.
waltfl

Re: K40 upgrade fail upgraded to pass

Post by waltfl »

hi there again
first there never should be air bubbles in the tube this will destroy the tube
there must be a bridge between the WP and Ground on the laser power supply
suggestion you need to talk what you are doing with the machine so I can understand better to give advice like the last point her
...I refer to the SZ80..... I got no idea what you talking about
why you don't try first to use the existing analog mA meter it does not need extra power just put it between the negative connection from the laser powersupply and the negative connector from the tube the blue or black one no resistor.
the wiring of the stepper motor is easy like shown on the schematic never drive the stepper driver without a motor or you destroy the driver happen to many as they try to test the driver without motor.
greetings
waltfl

ivantandy wrote:Thanks to waltfl for good advice: begin at the beginning... and to hardshoe for feedback on laserpower %

1) Simplified wiring and verified connections 2) Eliminated 100mA meter and shunt wiring which I had connected to 5V on Laser PSU

Baseline: Laser fires at preset power from TEST button Laser and WP LED fully on.

Cooling water level too low pump was drawing air: Added distilled to reservoir= Increased waterflow better water exit from tube behavior > nice bubble

Connected DSP to 24V. Did not verify 24V power supply output indeed 24V created test rectangle ran file... 27mm(X) x 123mm(Y) [def. step probs]

Low power TL in 12-15% range delivered a very nice line but once I changed values from Interface to 30%Power laser firing random. Origin issues!

Although basic wiring remains a factor I suspect the K40 IV power supply delivery of Low Power TL signal with DSP (12-15% range) is dodgy. I changed the max power in LaserCad to 30% file would run but laser did not fire right away as laser head moved around- USER issues that I will solve soon.

Thus it is clear I still have possible issues with either soft origin/and dip settings or both and wiring to Xmotor... need to read through posts again ...

I referred to the SZ80PowerSupply manual even though i don't have this model (i don't what I have actually) I see the 5V makes a connection across all from TTL through G when closed with INput is the analog ) is 0-5V in the general diagram... perhaps I created a problem with pwm by connecting the V+ for my 3digit digital meter in the 5V... it does seem to receive feedback at Power on and hovers between O and 1.
ivantandy

Re: K40 upgrade pass

Post by ivantandy »

Thanks Waltfl for clarity on the laser tube and air bubble- I was under the impression that a small bubble near outlet was ok. I cleared the small bubble near top outlet by rotating the glass laser tube slightly, very slightly up to center. Amazing the difference this small change of a couple of degrees made; the persistant air bubble cleared and the tube remains air free.

The power supply manual is for a PS sold by LO specifically for an 80 Watt CO2 laser but it is a good reference tool for wiring diag.

I wired my x stepper as per the K40 conversion B manual using the pictures for ref. wiring is straightforward but motors may differ.

Attempted to update firmware on DSP608 from USB stick FAT32 but only 2G in size (drive reads as less than 2G). This size of drive not recognized > screen msg 'No Ufile'
I will have to purchase a newer USB stick 2-8G.
Attachments
airbubble.jpg
airbubble.jpg (71.88 KiB) Viewed 2320 times

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”