K40 conversion successful thanks to Marco

barillo66

K40 conversion successful thanks to Marco

Post by barillo66 »

I wanted to do everything quietly, working on it 3 hours a day, diagram and guides
all very clear, great. I linked the Power table/ bed to Z instead of using a manual interface for using buttons.
Everything perfect, I'm running several tests and wanted to know if someone cut acrylic 2.5 mm and with what parameters.
One last thing,for now, how much pressure is necessary for the air on the lens output?

Again a thanks to Marco
Tech_Marco

Re: K40 conversion successful thanks to Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

For K40, cutting 2.5mm arcylic should use 85% to 90% power with 5mm/s. That's what I have on my testing.

Air-assisted is important for helping the cutting. There is no rule to say how much pressure require. Just feel from air blowing out from the laser head is good enough for K40.

I'll receive my ocean shipment on coming Tuesday and there are some air pump in the shipment. You may consider it or you may get one from eBay.

Marco
barillo66

Post by barillo66 »

thanks for your quick response! :)
I have to ask you something else:
as you can see from the picture I can not coincide with the origin of lasercad that of the machine,
where I'm wrong. I'm doing some tests, which went well, but the position I have always moved by
hand from time to time, as you can see is the y-axis.

Alfonso
Attachments
taglio laser.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

You may not be able to cut or engrave right on the machine origin point, also named as "HOME". It is the physical zero of the machine with XY limit switches located. The reason is that the XY need to take some time and distance to speed up to reach the desired speed.

FYI, You may setup the starting point (Origin) by programming the origin location through the LCD unit. It could be one of this:
- Machine zero: absolute zero
- Software control: what ever the origin point shows on the LaserCad
- Key control: Use the arrow to move the laser head where you want it to be the Origin then press "Origin"

The menus show mention this part well

Marco
Things

Post by Things »

Yeah, it's good practice to never use the exact machine origin as your starting origin, I usually go 1-2cm in each axis just to ensure the head has enough room to accelerate/decelerate. For example, if you try doing an engraving right on the machine origin, it will fail as the head needs a bit of room on each side to reach a constant velocity for engraving.
barillo66

Post by barillo66 »

Hello Marco
it's okay what you say.....
but if lasercad say x = 70 y = 50 and the machine gives me x = 72 (and I think is okay)
and y = 37 I think there is something wrong with y.
I read somewhere that the sequence of the motor wires Y is not the same of the motor X
because I used the same sequence for the two motors.
B-.......Yellow
B+.......Bianco
A-.......Blue
A+.......Red
everything else works ..... even the size of the design, they are perfect.
Another thing, the key "ORIGIN" that on the LCD and the other on lasercad when I press nothing happens, I only hear the beep
but when pressing it again, nothing happens, only the beep .... is this normal?

Thanks for your suggestion for acrylic ... I finally did the panel as you see in the picture .... small imperfections of measures taken bad, all things considered the final result is acceptable as my first cut. I used 2 mm/s and 90% power, 5 mm/s it was too little for my acrylic.

Alfonso
Attachments
plexy.jpg
ivantandy

K40 upgrade DSP608 success maybe as well

Post by ivantandy »

Although origin and stepper config. not fully tweaked, LaserCAD, 608Interface, and meter all functioning due to nuggets on forum... but wouldn't have been able to complete at all without wiringdiag2. thanks
Attachments
finally.jpg
Things

Post by Things »

Looks good! It's great how you can cut out parts on the machine to improve itself, isn't it? :D
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

barillo66 wrote:Hello Marco
it's okay what you say.....
but if lasercad say x = 70 y = 50 and the machine gives me x = 72 (and I think is okay)
and y = 37 I think there is something wrong with y.
Alfonso

If you make a drawing of 100mm x 100mm on lasercad and send it to cut. What is the size you got from the machine?
Did you configure the "um" for the motor?

How did you measure the X=72 and Y = 37?

Marco
barillo66

Post by barillo66 »

I try to explain better
I would that I see the origin on lasercad coincides with that of the machine, I can not understand where is the mistake
I set SOFTORIGIN on the machine, I have drawn a square 100mm x 100mm with origin x = 70 y = 70 (example chosen at random)
as you can see from the picture the only problem is the distance Y, everything else is perfect (X Origin, Dimensions of square)
the distance Y I expected was to be 71 mm as X (71 but not 70 because the paper passes under the edge of the table movable) and no 56 mm
I hope I explained.....I hope my English is understandable, sorry me

Alfonso
Attachments
Origin.jpg
barillo66

Post by barillo66 »

Hello
I solved the problem .... how could I not have thought of that before :(
The defect there is in the position of the limit switch Y
located too far down from the moving axis and then the machine zero
did not fit into the space of the floor, and then I solved like in the picture, it is now ok
but I'll have to make a plate to have a precise machine zero as I will ;)

Alfonso
Attachments
Y LIMIT.jpg
Y LIMIT.jpg (231.81 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
jimsbox

Post by jimsbox »

Any chance of putting up the file you used to cut your acrylic panel with, looks good.

Jim

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”