connections for k40 laser tube

hardshoe

connections for k40 laser tube

Post by hardshoe »

Hi guys ,I bought the k40 upgrade then found that the unshielded power board fitted in the machine wasn't fit for purpose so I've bought a new power supply. I know this is a noob question but I am not great with electrics and don't want to fry the newly bought upgrade , where do I connect the black wire that used to connect to the big green resistor coming from the laser tube too?. I know there is a connector on the back of the transformer and I'm assuming that's where it goes I'd just like to be sure as I don't want to be left with a flaming wreck.
Thanks for your help.
Ger
Tech_Marco

Re: connections for k40 laser tube

Post by Tech_Marco »

Ger:

Red wire (HV+) is need to connected to the 'green monster' (you don't need to use it anyway) which is also the positve of the tube (with glass coil insdier the tube). Some model may have a wire in blue or black color at the back of the PS but some may have a connection terminal. That is the negative and need to connect to the laser tube negative pin, the one closed to the output end.

By the way, make sure the machine is well grounded. Make sure the screw that used to mount the PS is firmly on and have great 'metal' contact to the chasis. Double check the AC plug and make sure the "Ground" is really connecting to the chasis as most K40 come without a connection (fake ground!)

Marco
hardshoe

Post by hardshoe »

Thanks for the reply Marco , I've ensured the chassis is properly earthed. Just to confirm that the cathode wire is to be attached to the post at the back of the laser power supply that I just got from you.
Thanks for your patience and help.
Ger
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

If you have ordered a 40W PS with black case from me, there is a connection terminal (screw & banana plug) and it is used for negative connection of a laser tube

See attahced image

Marco
Attachments
LPS_Connection.JPG
hardshoe

Post by hardshoe »

Thanks for the prompt reply and your patience Marco , I just have a couple of questions which again I know may seem to be self evident but I'd rather be safe than sorry. On the AWC 608 the power in for the board is marked +24 v and ground , is ground in America the same as earth in the uk or is it neutral? The other question is regarding the 3 pin port on the pwm supply the port is marked FG FA FA I'm assuming fg is earth and that the other 2 are neutral and live would this be correct?.
Thanks again for your help and when I get this up and running there will be more business from this side of the pond for you as my friends are waiting to see how it works out.
Thanks again for all your help.
Ger
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

DC ground is different than AC ground in general. So, you dont connect the 24V ground to the case, the AC ground

True that FG is ground and FA is Neutral and Live doesn't matter which one FA to neutral or live

Marco
hardshoe

Post by hardshoe »

Thanks again Marco , I've just one last question before I wire it all up . Have the stepper motors to be connected to the stepper conrtrollers exactly as they appear in the pdf ?.
And with that I'll be done , will let you know how I get on.
Thanks for your time
Ger
hardshoe

Post by hardshoe »

Hello Marco , so much for 1 last question , on the 24v supply would the terminal I use be +v and commom or +v and earth/ground.
Thanks
Ger
hardshoe

Post by hardshoe »

Hello Marco , I've connected everything bar the stepper motors up and it is all going smoothly . I was just wanting to clarify the wiring to the microstep controller. The wires from the stepping motor are blue/white/red/yellow and in fig35 when you follow the new cable the wires into the controller connection are white/blue/yellow /red and on the y motor the wires are red/white/blue/red going to red/blue/white/yellow I 'm just making sure I don't fall at the last hurdle.
Thanks for your patience and time.
Ger
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Ger:

It is not a good idea to use color code to tell the connection. Motor from vary manufacturer has its own color wire used. You may want to test the pair before using it. You can test it by two simple method:
1) use an ohm meter to test the continuity. If it is in pair, the resistance should range from 2ohm to 10ohm. If not, it is an open circuit

2) Simply put two wires together and then use fingers to turn the motor spindle. You will feel some resistance if the two wires are in pair. If it is non-pair, the motor turn freely

Marco
hardshoe

Post by hardshoe »

Hello Marco , thanks for the tip about joining the wires and checking the friction on the motor made this very easy. I've got some tidying up of the electrics to do but it'll be running by the weekend.
Thanks for all your help.
Best regards
Ger
hardshoe

Post by hardshoe »

Hello Marco , seem to have a big teething problem .ran all the wiring to the awc 608 and have everything connected except the laser supply. Power up the 24v supply and get nothing on the display....I know the power is getting to the awc unit as the light is on for the usb connection. I've checked all the connections and they seem to be ok . Any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance
Ger
hardshoe

Post by hardshoe »

Hello again Marco , I've made some progress , checked all the wiring again , threw the switch and we haVE lift off. I',ve got the led panel telling me that the system is resetting as the laser head locates to the top left hand corner unfortunately it ignores the limit switches and I've got to turn it off . I've checked the switches with the ohmeter and they are working. Just to check they are open when not activated and closed when they are ?. I,ve tried different combinations though none seem to register. I''ve installed lasercad but despite choosing the english install I'm getting the chinese version . Thanks for your time and effort and I'm sure these things will be ironed out soon.
Ger
hardshoe

Post by hardshoe »

Hello marco disregard the last 2 posts had wired the limits the wrong way ...have got the software sorted and now just need to put everything back in the case ...working by tues latest .
Thanks
Ger
hardshoe

Post by hardshoe »

Hello Marco , got everything put back in the case and its all good to go , I've followed the instructions on setting up the software , set the um value to 5 and drawn a square but all I am getting on the panel is that the engraving is beyond size .Any pointers gratefully received.
Thanks
Ger

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”