Power table/ bed kit for K40 small laser machine

kculm

Power table/ bed kit for K40 small laser machine

Post by kculm »

Hi all, I have received my Power table/ bed kit for K40 small laser machine. but I have found no info on the proper way to install it.

I was sent the parts list on what I need to make is work , but nothing on installing it in the case.

If anyone has installed on, can you please pass on the info.

Thanks
dholling1

Re: Power table/ bed kit for K40 small laser machine

Post by dholling1 »

Thought I'd document my PMs to this post here. It is a opus in 2 parts.

Part 1 (sent after I'd done the intial fitment - measure once, cut 15,493 times):

OK, I had to tear it down again because I didn't document what color wire went with which pin on the stepper. I found this spec sheet (http://www.divinelinear.com/42HS.php#page=page-1) that shows the pin outs. Doesn't really matter which side is A or B, since this is just a bi-polar stepper. I'll shoot you an update and post all of this to your thread once I have everything sorted and verified working.

Now, for the physical part. First I noted on the bottom of the table frame that there were several tapped holes. One is an M3 but the others are all M4. Then I set the table inside the gantry and positioned it where I wanted it. Next I took a Sharpie and marked along the 2 edges I could get to on the case. I also eyeballed the holes and marked where they were along the line I just drew. I removed the table and measured with calipers how far in from the edge (that I'd just located and marked) the centers were. I locked the caliper for each one, positioned them by their corresponding marks on the case and used the pointy part of the caliper jaws to scratch a mark in the case. I center-punched the scratch and the drilled a hole. I made mine 3/16" to give me a little clearance (just make sure the hole is smaller than your washers!). Then I put the table in and bolted it in. I left it a little loose so I could line it up parallel to the X-Y gantry.

The attached photos show:
Holes marked (I'd already drilled at this point)
Bolted in from the bottom with M4 bolts and a washer
Mounted in case (I took this shot before I lined it up - the holes had enough wiggle room to line it up correctly)

Part 2 (Success!):

OK, got it all working. At first, the Z axis was completely unresponsive. I traced it down to a difference in the actual wiring vs that diagram. Apparently all steppers with the same model number are not created equally. The drawing shows 1 & 3 being a phase and 4 & 6 being another phase. Not in my case. I tested it (continuity test) and found that 1 & 4 were one phase and 3 & 6 the other. Once I got that sorted out it was all gravy. The only difference on the stepper driver from the normal x & Y axis was I upped the voltage to the .84A setting (ON-ON-OFF vs OFF-OFF-ON for the X-Y) and also set it at 16 steps.

How's your install coming along?

Post Install:
I wound up putting it on the U axis as it is less headachy to fiddle with than the Z. First real thing I cut was a focus height gage that works well.

-Dan
Attachments
Mounted in case (I took this shot before I lined it up - the holes had enough wiggle room to line it up correctly)

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”