Laser tube issues + power supply problems

pannaus

Laser tube issues + power supply problems

Post by pannaus »

Hello there.
I own a K40 small chinese CO2 machine, DPS modified.
everything worked fine until few hours ago.

I was using the maschine at 100% power at 3 mm/s to cut a 3mm acrilic piece when it suddenly began to do "lightnings" and the fried-like noise. We shut it down. I thought it was just the insulation of the PS wire that failed. I checked it, but everything was fine. So i turned it back on and the AC on my shop just went out.

Fuse was burnet. PS does not power up for when I try to switch it on, the new fuse gets burnt again.

Now, this is the third time a laser tube gets fried. I really don't know what the problem can be.
Last two times water pump worked just fine.

This time around though, It might have been a problem with the water. The pump was not supplying enought water probably.
So my question is:

- Is it normal for a 40W lamp on a 40/60W Power supply to have to use 100% power 3mm/s to CUT a 3mm acrilic? isn't this a bit weak?
- Is it possible for the lamp to cause damage or short circuit the powersupply if not enough water gets to it?
- How can I repair my powersupply? They're custom made and there's nobody here in Rome that can actually help.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.
Thanks!

Fulvio
waltfl

Re: Laser tube issues + power supply problems

Post by waltfl »

Hi there
if you use 100% power from the DSP theen you have totaly overpower your tube this 40W tubes should never be driven by more then 16mA!!!!!
the water temperature should never go over 25 C
the best way is to buy a new PS a PWM type for 40W tube believe me thats the best and cheapest way you can buy them on ebay.
I cut 6mm acrylic with sped 6mm/s and 45% power.
maybe you need to alligne your beam.
greetings
waltfl

pannaus wrote:Hello there.
I own a K40 small chinese CO2 machine, DPS modified.
everything worked fine until few hours ago.

I was using the maschine at 100% power at 3 mm/s to cut a 3mm acrilic piece when it suddenly began to do "lightnings" and the fried-like noise. We shut it down. I thought it was just the insulation of the PS wire that failed. I checked it, but everything was fine. So i turned it back on and the AC on my shop just went out.

Fuse was burnet. PS does not power up for when I try to switch it on, the new fuse gets burnt again.

Now, this is the third time a laser tube gets fried. I really don't know what the problem can be.
Last two times water pump worked just fine.

This time around though, It might have been a problem with the water. The pump was not supplying enought water probably.
So my question is:

- Is it normal for a 40W lamp on a 40/60W Power supply to have to use 100% power 3mm/s to CUT a 3mm acrilic? isn't this a bit weak?
- Is it possible for the lamp to cause damage or short circuit the powersupply if not enough water gets to it?
- How can I repair my powersupply? They're custom made and there's nobody here in Rome that can actually help.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.
Thanks!

Fulvio
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

Oh...didn't know that :(
Then I guess I fried both ...
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

waltfl wrote: I cut 6mm acrylic with sped 6mm/s and 45% power.
I guess you can do it only after replacing the lens, right? So far, I don't see any K40 can cut through 3mm with 5mm/s. Even with air-assisted, it could cut 3.5mm with 5mm/s. Did you change the laser tube also? Or, was it an original tube? If everything was stock item, then your machine is super!

If you have changed things, please let us know what did you change on your K40

Marco
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

hi marco
yes I replaced the lens with a GaAs type lens, and the tube was replaced with a new one the cheap type.
I even can cut oridnary 6mm plywood from HD with 5mm/s, 45.5% (14mA) power.
but I hold my water temperature on +/- 1 degree of 20 degree C with a temperature controler.
greetings
waltfl

Tech_Marco wrote:
waltfl wrote: I cut 6mm acrylic with sped 6mm/s and 45% power.
I guess you can do it only after replacing the lens, right? So far, I don't see any K40 can cut through 3mm with 5mm/s. Even with air-assisted, it could cut 3.5mm with 5mm/s. Did you change the laser tube also? Or, was it an original tube? If everything was stock item, then your machine is super!

If you have changed things, please let us know what did you change on your K40

Marco
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

waltfl wrote:hi marco
yes I replaced the lens with a GaAs type lens, and the tube was replaced with a new one the cheap type.
I even can cut oridnary 6mm plywood from HD with 5mm/s, 45.5% (14mA) power.
but I hold my water temperature on +/- 1 degree of 20 degree C with a temperature controler.
greetings
waltfl
Waltfl, where did you get this GaAs lens? :D
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

Waltfl, I found some GaAs lenses on ebay and it would be very helpful to know diameter and which lens you got in order not to waste money :D
Could you provide some info about it please?

Thanks!
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

Hi
tis GaAs lenses are 18mm diameter and you need to tell them which focal lenght you need
greetings
walt

pannaus wrote:Waltfl, I found some GaAs lenses on ebay and it would be very helpful to know diameter and which lens you got in order not to waste money :D
Could you provide some info about it please?

Thanks!
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

I bought this from Marco:

http://www.lightobject.com/High-quality ... -P670.aspx

and it says 50.8mm FL
Do i have to have the same FL on the gaas lens?
Thanks for the info ;)
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

hi
they are very good too.
you need to tell them with a note at check out that you want the 50.8 focal lenght
greetings
waltfl

pannaus wrote:I bought this from Marco:

http://www.lightobject.com/High-quality ... -P670.aspx

and it says 50.8mm FL
Do i have to have the same FL on the gaas lens?
Thanks for the info ;)
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

Ok thanks!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I was told by the supplier that "GaAs" lens is not as good as ZnSe, plus it is poison. So, you need to be careful when handling it

Marco
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

Hi marco
thats totaly BS your supplier probably just wana sell you the ZnSe lenses. I and others have proof that the GaAs lenses give much more cutting power and that th GaAs is poisen is another BS because the GaAs is the substrat where it is made from the same as some LEDs
and the other part is because this is a very hard substrat it is relative scratch resistend I clean my lenses just with a ordinary lens rag and no scratches are discoverd after now 9 month of abusive handling.
you know you could say the same for ZnSe lenses because Zn and Se is even more poisining just look the MS data
greetings
waltfl

Tech_Marco wrote:I was told by the supplier that "GaAs" lens is not as good as ZnSe, plus it is poison. So, you need to be careful when handling it

Marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Really! Then I got to try some as the price not too bad.
May be you can test one for me

Marco
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

I got them already just send me what you want have tested no problem.
greetings
waltfl
Tech_Marco wrote:Really! Then I got to try some as the price not too bad.
May be you can test one for me

Marco

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”