Y moves to top on both up and down arrow keys

thenar

Y moves to top on both up and down arrow keys

Post by thenar »

I think I'm just about there. But the Y axis is acting funny. When I pull the laser head to the center of the work area and turn on the machine, it smoothly goes to the home position. But when I try to move the head, the X axis works perfectly...smooth and quiet in the proper direction. Conversely, the Y axis always goes to the top no matter which arrow key...up or down that I push. So I started again and I hit the limit switch on the y axis early. the head stopped about half way to the top. I then hit the down arrow key and the head went smoothly to the top. I did it again and hit the up key...same thing the head moved smoothly to the top and stopped. No matter what I do, which direction I hit the keys...bam, the head goes to the top and stops. I'm sure it's something obvious that I'm missing...can anyone help me? I think it's the last hurtle and then I can get some work done.
Tech_Marco

Re: Y moves to top on both up and down arrow keys

Post by Tech_Marco »

It seems that the the Y motor is reversed. Two ways to fix it

1) Software: use LaserCad to change the Datum for Y from current setting say Positive to Negative.
Options -> System Options -> Manufacturer Parameters
or
2) Just reverse one pair of Y motor connection. Note, only reverse one pair but not both pair

If it's not that case, double check your wiring. It's easy to have lose connection and cause motor(s) failing to response. I have encountered that issue so often.

Also, Check on "Work Space" to make sure that both Machine Zero and Page Zero are matching your home location

To fix Key direction issue, again please use LaserCad System Options

On Key direction, change the current stage to the opposite. If the current stage is "Negative", change it to "Positive"

All of the above issue is covering on the DSP manual

Marco
thenar

Post by thenar »

I posted a response to this yesterday but it seems to have been removed. Marco...what you suggest are all obvious and I tried them all before bothering you, with no change at all. The problem lies elsewhere. I also took the cover off the DSP to check the limit lights.

Something a little strange happens with the Y limit light. When the head homes, the x light goes on when the head hits the switch. The head quickly moves away from the X limit switch to a zero position slightly to the right of the switch and the light goes out.

On the other hand, the head stays tight against the Y switch and remains there with the limit light still on. Any attempt to move the head towards the front of the machine using arrow keys causes the head to bounce against the Y limit switch. I've double checked the stepper drivers and they are both good. I pulled the arm away from the Y limit switch and it jumped about halfway down the rail towards the front. Using the arrow keys I moved the arm a few mm in the Y positive direction (towards the back of the machine). It moved smoothly. I then tried to move it towards the Y negative direction (front of machine) and It just continued in the positive direction...smoothly until it hit the limit switch and stopped tight against the switch.

This makes no sense. It will only move in one direction no matter what I do. Please help.

Please tell me if my X drive motor is correctly wired. I found the two coil pairs with my ohm meter. They are yellow-white and red-blue. I have them installed as follows (I sent you photos). On the driver module starting from the right, yellow, white, blue, red. If this is wrong, please tell me.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I posted a response to this yesterday but it seems to have been removed.
I don't remove any post without warning.

Something a little strange happens with the Y limit light. When the head homes, the x light goes on when the head hits the switch. The head quickly moves away from the X limit switch to a zero position slightly to the right of the switch and the light goes out.
It's absolutely normal and it's the way how it should work. The reason is that when limit switch is triggered and the motor must back off for a couple "mm" is to release the limit switch from engaging. You can't have the limit switch stay closed forever, that why it needs to move back for a couple step to release it.

As I told you already, do not use "color" code for motor connection or for other device connection, especially machine coming from China. There is no such thing 'standard' in those products. Even for machines that looks similiar, or the worst scenario even the same machine manufactured by the same company of the same model, the assembly guy in China could use different color cable for the same connection. I have seem it so often! You need to use a ohm meter to check the continuity. Or, the simple way to test the pair of stepping motor is to tap a pair of wires and if it's in a par like "A+ A-" or "B+ B-", you should feel some 'resistance' happened on the motor when you try to spin the shaft . If it's not in a pair, the motor move freely. By the way, I have mentioned to you by email that a folk reported that his motor color code was different than my machine using for the step by step K40 instruction manual.

I think to save our time here, may be you should send back the DSP controller to me for inspection. If it's malfunction, I will change another one for you.

By the way, here is another test you may want to do before return it: swap the stepping motor driver (2M415) and swap the the motors as well. It seems that the Y motor is either stuck in one direction or defective. On the other hand, it could be the stepping driver having bad "DIR". You may want to check the "DIR" cable that used to connect the DSP controller and the stepping motor driver. You mentioned that the Y motor was running smoothly when moving from the center of the stage but it was unable to stop or back off a couple steps when hitting the Limit Switch. Check the cable connection as its most troublesome but easy to to be ignored. Either replace the cable or double check the continuity of the cable. Make sure the Limit Switch (YI) is good. Always use "EX- Gnd" & "EY- Gnd" terminals for the limit switch connection

Marco
thenar

Post by thenar »

Thank you for your response. Walter and I spent most of the day trying different possible solutions. We did everything you suggested. In fact, I switched the two driver modules completely. No difference. We also tried to set a new Origin but still no difference. I checked the motor and it appears to be good...and it was good for sure on the day I installed this dSP unit. I will send the DSP Module back to you back to you for testing. Do I need an RA number (return authorization). -P-

Addendum...turns out I didn't switch them completely. I just switched the DSP connections. Not the motor connections. Big mistake.
Last edited by thenar on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenar

Post by thenar »

:idea: With Walter's help I was able to figure out that the insane behavior of my Y axis was being caused by a bad Stepper driver. I absolutely did not expect that! Here's how I discovered it: I did an X/Y flip; completely flipping the connections between the X and Y Axis drivers, including both the DSP and motor connections. What happened was interesting. Now the Y axis behaves perfectly well, smooth, quiet fast. BUT the X axis now has all the symptoms of insanity that the Y axis formerly had. Clearly the aberrant behavior was being caused by something wacky inside that module. I contacted Marco This morning, and he agreed to send out a replacement right away on Monday. (Today is Sunday) Monday is Christmas Eve. Thank you Lightobject guys and I want to wish you all a very happy holiday season. Same to you my fellow users. May you all find what you're looking for in the coming year. And last but certainly not lease I want to thank Walter. He has stuck by me through this, encouraging me, trying everything we could think of together...he came up will all sorts of great advice...I learned a lot, So Thank you especially Walter. You are a really good guy. I owe you at least a beer.
-P-
thenar

Post by thenar »

Okay, I replaced the stepper driver and it did not fix the bad Y axis behavior. It just changed it. So I got a second DSP from LightObject and replaced the DSP...that didn't fix it either. But when I replaced BOTH the DSP and the Stepper Driver, I finally got the system working as it should. I had checked more than a hundred different hardware and software parameters with an electrical engineer at my side. Finally. Thank goodness for Walter. Otherwise I might never have gotten it figured out.

I'm getting upset. It too two weeks to figure out that I had both a defective driver and DSP, but now after burning the LightObject Logo, the Laser dies. I checked the cooling water...no problem. I tried firing the laser from my laptop, from the controller and from the "test" button. Something :evil: is very wrong with this picture. I had no laser problems from the start, I get the XY table finally working properly and burn the logo...and now my Laser stops working. Does anybody have any ideas about how to test the laser and or the power supply? It seems very strange that it burned the logo completely and died. It feels like there should be some answer besides now I need to buy a new power supply. It's only been used about an hour. I've checked the jumper on the PS and its firmly in place as it has been. This is exhausting.

Okay, Walter helped me figure out it was a dead power supply...imagine my luck. I got a new power supply from the company that made my engraver. Now everything works nicely. Walter is a great guy. I'm returning the faulat DSP and Stepper controller to Marco. Finally after two months I have a working laser...it's a nice feeling actually and I have to admit the DSP from LightObject works smoothly. I'm still having a little overburn in the corners, but Walter gave me a solution to that one too.
-P-
wctx1977

Post by wctx1977 »

thenar wrote:Okay, I replaced the stepper driver and it did not fix the bad Y axis behavior. It just changed it. So I got a second DSP from LightObject and replaced the DSP...that didn't fix it either. But when I replaced BOTH the DSP and the Stepper Driver, I finally got the system working as it should. I had checked more than a hundred different hardware and software parameters with an electrical engineer at my side. Finally. Thank goodness for Walter. Otherwise I might never have gotten it figured out.

I'm getting upset. It too two weeks to figure out that I had both a defective driver and DSP, but now after burning the LightObject Logo, the Laser dies. I checked the cooling water...no problem. I tried firing the laser from my laptop, from the controller and from the "test" button. Something :evil: is very wrong with this picture. I had no laser problems from the start, I get the XY table finally working properly and burn the logo...and now my Laser stops working. Does anybody have any ideas about how to test the laser and or the power supply? It seems very strange that it burned the logo completely and died. It feels like there should be some answer besides now I need to buy a new power supply. It's only been used about an hour. I've checked the jumper on the PS and its firmly in place as it has been. This is exhausting.

Okay, Walter helped me figure out it was a dead power supply...imagine my luck. I got a new power supply from the company that made my engraver. Now everything works nicely. Walter is a great guy. I'm returning the faulat DSP and Stepper controller to Marco. Finally after two months I have a working laser...it's a nice feeling actually and I have to admit the DSP from LightObject works smoothly. I'm still having a little overburn in the corners, but Walter gave me a solution to that one too.
-P-

Hi thenar, I understand the frustration that grows after several things start going wrong one after the other and I learned a lot on my machine after experiencing many strange behavior and got to correct them successfully. My DSP control panel used to blink ON and OFF causing the system to restart very frequently but not all the times. The laser head used to move from one position to an other when engraving and ruining the job.The laser used to fire when the head was returning home after finishing a job. Also if the unit was ON and idle, the laser head would move one direction or creeping slowly without me touching any buttons and that was very annoying and often would keep my from processing any jobs but once again, it never happened all the times.
Well!!, the problem was caused from lack of good ground connection and this k40 boxes have a fake ground connection that needs to be corrected before trying to turn it ON for the first time and the bad thing is that I did't know I had this problem until bad things happened. Also it is very important to address that some buildings or homes are not grounded properly from the switch breaker panel or wall contacts with missing ground connection.
I'm not saying or trying to say that your problem was caused for the same reason that mine at all but I wanted to share my experience with you or any other person who may do a conversion on one of this k40 machines. Luckily enough the DSP controller did not got damaged but one of the stepper drivers got ruined and had to replace it. Now everything seems to be working fine or with minor adjustments that need to be done. Bad ground can cause anything to fail and yes, it can kill laser power supply as well.

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”