Converting...ribbon cable?

AndyJ

Converting...ribbon cable?

Post by AndyJ »

I'm converting a Chinese laser to work with the DSP system, and it uses that white "AWM 20624" ribbon cable for the limit switches and stepper wires. What are people doing to deal with this cable and hook it into the DSP? Thanks!
AVRC

Re: Converting...ribbon cable?

Post by AVRC »

I left it in place and just soldered some wires onto the contacts on the controller end.
AndyJ

Post by AndyJ »

Were you able to use with your limit switches as well?
AVRC

Post by AVRC »

No, The DSP is not able to invert the levels.
I added my own mechanical limit switches.
Heihachi07

Post by Heihachi07 »

Hi AVRC
try taking out the PPI or increase to 600.testking 640-916 braindumps
check the focal hight of your material and increase the speed to 80 to 100 and lower the power to 20 to 25
greetings
walt
DonL

Post by DonL »

AVRC wrote:I left it in place and just soldered some wires onto the contacts on the controller end.
do you know which strip contacts equate to which function? assistance would be appreciated..
weeb

Post by weeb »

I found the limit switches as fitted to my Chinese laser were totally hit or miss so when I did the upgrade I removed the ribbon cable and the pcb it was attached to and hardwired it all straight to the X7 controller. Installed a couple of small mechanical limit switches hardwired straight to the controller as well and it works faultlessly. Wiring in the controller turned out to be actually pretty simple. Give one of us a shout if you get stuck.

weeb
DonL

Post by DonL »

weeb wrote:I found the limit switches as fitted to my Chinese laser were totally hit or miss so when I did the upgrade I removed the ribbon cable and the pcb it was attached to and hardwired it all straight to the X7 controller. Installed a couple of small mechanical limit switches hardwired straight to the controller as well and it works faultlessly. Wiring in the controller turned out to be actually pretty simple. Give one of us a shout if you get stuck.

weeb
Will do! I almost wish the LO-X7 completely filled the hole left by the old panel, then I could just cut new holes for the switch, digital amp meter and emergengy stop button :) I Appreciate the help...
weeb

Post by weeb »

Will do! I almost wish the LO-X7 completely filled the hole left by the old panel, then I could just cut new holes for the switch, digital amp meter and emergengy stop button :) I Appreciate the help...
Yep that was a bit of a bummer. I had a bit of aluminium that covered the hole, so I cut out the shape to fit. It did mean cutting back some of the original hole. I think pics of my build are still up here somewhere;

If not : Image

Need to grab a few with the finished wires. But shows you the idea m8

gordy
DonL

Post by DonL »

weeb wrote:

Need to grab a few with the finished wires. But shows you the idea m8 ....

gordy
Nice... I did notice that my separator panel between the electronics and CNC bay is spot welded where yours appears bolted in so I may have a challenge to drill holes to mount the Stepper Drivers. But I like your attention to neatness. I ordered a bunch of the terminal mounts as well.

I have 4 drivers to go in, X, Y, Z and U as I ordered the Z Table and Rotator as well.

I plan on using a CAT 5 plug to plug in the Rotator table when needed. I have lots of options for that.
DonL

Post by DonL »

weeb wrote:
Need to grab a few with the finished wires. But shows you the idea m8

gordy
Yes, I would like to see how you managed the wires... Cheers!

I managed to get the milliamp meter and power switch in without cutting the case, using a 60mm x 190mm tinted plexiglass and painted the back side then engraved through the paint and added a blue LED for effect.

The amp meter is not connected in this shot but you get the idea.
laser1.jpg

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”