Few final questions about setting up the DSP on the K40

waltfl

Re: Few final questions about setting up the DSP on the K40

Post by waltfl »

hi there
wait a minute I just realize that you wrote that you have connected the ground wire to the cathode of the tube ?
if this is the case then you probably have shot the Powersupply because the cathode of the tube goes only to the
second wire what comes out from the power supply , there is one red one and one thats ether black or blue this
one goes to the tube cathode only .
if you want to connect a mA meter then this goes just in between this wire what comes out
of the power supply. one pol of the meter goes on this and the other pol of the meter is connected to the cathode
you can try to make the connection right AND SEE IF YOU ARE LUCKY AND THE SUPPLY DID NOT BLOW.
from the connector block there are three wire going to the DSP controller direckt not other connection to the ground.
I hope this will help
greetings
walt

pannaus wrote:Ok, Marco, this is me speaking (and I don't have a good electronic background, my friend does but he doesn't speak english very weel).
So this is what we did:

on the right side of the power supply we have 3 slots.
First one (AC) has the red wire from the AC of the shop
Second one (AC) has the black wire from the AC of the shop
Third (FG) is empty

on the left side:

WP is connected to the ground cable that is also connected to TL, and to the G slot of the power supply.
This ground cable is connected to the cathode of the laser tube

IN is connected with a wire to the 5V.

The HOT WIRE is connected to the anode of the laser tube.
A test switch is connected to the ground cable.

Keep in mind that when we use the power button to switch the power supply on, the fan does not start.
Also, nothing happens with this configuration.

We still think the power supply is damaged :(
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

Ok guys, definetely was the power supply.
The new one we got was a little different and now fan and laser test work but.......... :D
we have a few questions :D

- LASER TEST
When we push the laser button, laser fires but it will not stop unless we push reset. Is this right? Or did we connect things in a wrong way?

- DSP UPDATE
We tried to update the DSP with the USB key, but it won't work. We did as written, many times, but it will say: Error and stop there.

Also We tried to put a file in lasercad and try to start the machine, but the laser goes everywhere randomly so I guess there's still a lot to do ahahhaha. We'll get to that in the next days.

Please let us know about those two problems ;)
Thanks!
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

Ok, after setting up the steppers (trial and error), the machine now works pretty good.

We still have some problems:

- The laser does not switch off so, when a drawing is done, the laser moves back to initial position, but keeps engraving
Any suggestions?

- The only update that worked was the 7. 6 and 8 keep returning error.

- When we hit the reset button to switch the laser off, the machine goes crazy, goes back to initial position and makes an awful sound as the laser keeps going up and left against the microswitches.
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

try the other connector on the DSP for the reset probleme,
for the laser probleme it is normal as far as I know when you have set the lase rin the dispaly menue to panel, set it to software and try
greetings
walt

pannaus wrote:Ok, after setting up the steppers (trial and error), the machine now works pretty good.

We still have some problems:

- The laser does not switch off so, when a drawing is done, the laser moves back to initial position, but keeps engraving
Any suggestions?

- The only update that worked was the 7. 6 and 8 keep returning error.

- When we hit the reset button to switch the laser off, the machine goes crazy, goes back to initial position and makes an awful sound as the laser keeps going up and left against the microswitches.
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

After spending the entire day on trying things, we are still experiencing the same problems.
Laser won't switch off and to do that, we need to push the reset button on the disply. This causes the loss of Y0 and X0 e during the reset phase, motors will go to run end on the top left corner and get stuck there, vibrating. The sign: System Resetting comes up on the display and this doesn't not stop unless you push the START/STOP on the display. Also, this is what happens EVERY time we switch the machine on.

ANother problem is about cutting.
If we set the software to engrave and cut, engraving is good (even if the lines are dotted and not clean), but the cut is not. Laser is very weak and it doesn't even scratch the acrilic. We've followed WALTFL suggestions to solve these problems. We, changed the connector on the DSP for the laser, but we cannot find this:
"for the laser probleme it is normal as far as I know when you have set the laser in the dispaly menu to panel, set it to software and try"
There's not such option on the display :(

we've tried everything we could think of. If you guys don't help, there's no way this thing is gonna work ever :(

Thanks!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Double check your connection of "TTL" and "PWM"
Make sure that "TTL" from the DSP is connecting to the "TL" on the power supply. Be sure not to connect to the "TH" and I think that's why it couldn't shut off after job completed.

What is your 'um' setting? What is your resolution setting on the motor drivers? 1/8 or 1/16?

Vibrating: seems that you didn't setup the um properly

Limit switches: Gnd vs ELX- for X limit , Gnd vs ELY- for Y limit

System reset: you need to pay attention to the grounding. The K40 machine comes with a 'fake' grounding

Cutting weak: did you setup power properly for cutting? For cutting, you need to set both Max and Min power but engraving only got one setting for the power control.
Try put 75% on Max and 65% Min and try again

You need to double check your wiring again. Make sure motor wires is firmly connected and A+ A- B+ B- are not cross over. NOw, you need to count on youself for proper connecting that is something we can't help. We can help by suggestion only. The real connection is relying on you

Marco
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

*** Read all of this text before you start to do anything. You may need to read it a couple of times to let it sink in a bit. ***

It sounds like you haven't got the limits set right for your table movements and your HIGH LOW pulse settings may be wrong, As marco said. I found this to be the hardest thing to set with the DSP as there are so many ways to do it. Also the Y axis connections on my board were marked wrong. (hand written).
This may be fixed by now though.

Do this.

"Read" your settings so the DSP loads your settings into the software. This should be done every time you want to change your settings when first starting up.

Check if your table is set to move to it's correct home position in the software. This is critical! Otherwise the laser will go in the wrong direction and then you will set your motors to go in the wrong direction as well to adjust for it. There is a drop down box in the top menu where you also set the default home position as well as one in the "setup" menu. Mine is "upper left" but yours may be different. You may need to swap wires on your motors so every thing moves in the right direction. I had to with my set up but don't do it to yours until you definitely know the laser head is going in the wrong direction.

Save your settings (export) to a backup file where you like. I save all my backups to a separate disk other than the system disk just in case there is a hard drive crash and drive C gets corrupted.

Move the laser head to the center of the table and then set a very low speed for cutting like 5mm/sec.

Take the cover off your DSP so you can see the LEDs light up when you trip a limit switch. Do this with the power off as you don't want to short anything. (If your software is set to HIGH then all the LEDs will be off because the DSP will be looking for a 5V signal and when the limit switch is pressed it will send 5V to the DSP lighting up the LED for that axis.)

Disconnect your laser power supply as we only want to test for the limits without cutting.

Draw a square about 20mm in size and then process for cutting at 5mm/s.

When you press START the job should run and while the head is moving press the limit switch that the laser head should hit if moving in that direction. Make the square bigger if it doesn't give you enough time to check.
This is how the table direction should be set up looking from the front to the back. You might have top right start or bottom left start etc but the table directions will still be the same.

+Y
-X +X
-Y

i.e.
if the head is moving right then you manually press the right limit switch and look at the LEDs on the DSP and see which one is lighting up. If you are moving in the +X direction and the -X limit lights up then you have your wires crossed. If the LEDs are on then you may need to change how the system works by choosing "LOW" pulse instead of "HIGH" pulse. If the LOW pulse is set then the system is looking for no voltage on the limits so if the limit switch has 5V across them all the time, LEDS are on, then it will be looking for the voltage to drop out to zero for the limit to activate. Like I said, So many ways to set them up.!!

Also I had to set my software to "LOW" pulse for my set up to work and change all my limits to be NC or LEDS on all the time. I couldn't get the laser to fire properly and the limits to work together if set to "High". This will swap all your setting around and you will have to adjust for all of them. Laser power supply wiring included.

This might also have a bearing on how your laser fires as well by using the LOW pulse function. (found on the main set up page near the bottom)
I really do hope this helps you get it sorted out. I feel your frustration and I think most of us here have been in the same boat as we're not engineers but just a bunch of people trying something new.
I hope I have all the information right and it is clear enough to read as I'm not at the laser and can't check it but if someone here can check, I will feel a bit better about the info.

Rich.
P.S. I really admire the people who's second language is English and take on all this stuff. I have a hard time with English as a first language. :-)
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

Ok guys, now, everything works. There was an error on one of the diagram we found on the site, but with the explanations of Marco, we managed to get it right.

Cut works, engraving works fine.

Still, we have a very last problem:

X Axis motor gets very hot, almost burns. Don't know if it depends on the switch configuration of the stepper. As now, they are set this way: 1 2 3 6 are OFF, 4 and 5 are ON. Are these settings correct? Is the overheating caused by the configuration of the switches?

Thanks!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

For D40/K40 machine, the X motor is running at 0.4A or 0.6A (the max) while the Y motor is running at 1A. So, do your setting to make sure it's not over-current

My setting on 2M415 is:

X: Off Off On On On Off (0.6A)
Y: Off On Off On On Off (1A)

Currently your setting is 1.5A and you're going to KILL both motor very soon!

Marco
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

Marco, did you get our old broken powersupply? can we please get a refund for that?
Thanks!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes we did. We couldn't find the info from a return PS as you wrote in wrong order# and left no information inside of the package. When my staff trying to get more info from that particular customer, we were told that it's his belonging. Do you want store credit or refund? We need your order#

Marco
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

Marco, this is the order number:

And we'd like a money refund thanks ;)
Let me know what you info you need for the refund.

Thanks!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

193054 is not correct as it belong to a customer in USA. I think you're sending me the OrderID but not the Order number. It is different between two number.

Sure I can send you Paypal payment for the refund

Marco
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

Order Number: 193504
and yes, belongs to Alessandra D.B. in Houston.

That's where items where shipped man.
Last edited by pannaus on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
pannaus

Post by pannaus »

Marco, maybe this is better for both.

If it's ok for you, we'd like to get a 40W 700mm Laser tube.
Since we paid to ship the ps back and we paid the shipping of the new one, I think it would be fair if you'd ship the tube for free.

Let me know.
This would really come helpful for us.
Thanks.

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”