3 Watt LED Driver connection

Tech_Marco

3 Watt LED Driver connection

Postby Tech_Marco » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 pm

I found that the drive works fine with 3V~6V DC for a single 3W LED. But it get pretty hot if driving it over than 6V. I think the only way to use it over 12V is when you connect three 1W LED in series. I will test it and post the result it later
Attachments
3WDriver1.jpg
3WDriver2.jpg

resunltd

Re: 3 Watt LED Driver connection

Postby resunltd » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi,
I have six of the driver boards as shown in the pics as well as the 3w visible and IR LEDS. When connected as per the photo, the LEDs do not light and no current is drawn with a 3-6vdc input.
If I test the LEDs directly with an I limited bench supply they operate fine. Any idea why the driver modules are not working?
Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Bill

Tech_Marco

Postby Tech_Marco » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:20 am

All six not are working by the way I posted? Make sure +/- is not reversed or it will cook the driver

sigmo

Postby sigmo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:03 am

I, too, have some of these drivers and some 3 Watt LED modules.

It's odd that there is no documentation for these drivers anywhere on this site.

I looked up the "C310" marked on the IC on the little board and found a likely suspect by searching the web. It's likely that this is a Zetex ZXSC310.

Based on the datasheet for that IC, and tracing the little board, I came up with this as a schematic for the driver board:

Based on that schematic, the only way I could imagine the board working was to connect the LED module between terminals A (positive) and B (negative). Then, the positive side of the power source is fed into terminal D (which is electrically tied to terminal A on the board). The negative side of the power supply is tied to the "ground ring" which I've called terminal C.

This results in a hookup as shown here:

Connecting things this way, the unit seems to begin lighting the LED with about 2.3 Volts applied. The brightness of the LED seems to max out when the input Voltage reaches about 3.3 Volts. From that point upwards, the brightness appears to be reasonably well regulated. I stopped at about 8 Volts because the datasheet for the ZXXC310 states that the maximum voltage for the IC is 8 Volts.

I'm not sure where advertised voltage of 12 comes from, but I wouldn't exceed 8 Volts, and it's probably best to stay a bit below that for a safety margin.

I also think the wiring setup I've arrived at here makes sense because when used in a typical flashlight, the module would be mounted so that the positive "tip" of an AA battery could contact the center circular "pad" on the non-component side of the board and the barrel of the flashlight would contact the "ground ring" that surrounds the board on both sides. That would allow easy mounting in a flashlight while allowing contact to be made easily.

Then, on the other side of the board (the component side), the connections could be taken off of the small solder pads for wires actually feeding the LED module. At least that's what makes sense to me.

Again, it's unfortunate that there is no documentation supplied with these modules and that there is no documentation for them on this site. I would not have purchased these units had I known that no data was available.

Anyhow, that's what I've figured out on my own, but I'd still prefer to have the actual data from the designers.

The LED modules are straightforward and operate the way I'd expect when driven from an adjustable power supply. Setting the current limit to 750mA gives a very bright output as expected. When connected through this module, wired as I've shown, the drive seems reasonable, with the circuit limiting the drive current over a fairly wide range of input voltage. For a flashlight, this setup would run best with, say, three or four 1.5 or 1.2 Volt cells in series, or, perhaps, two Lithium cells in series.

I'd really like to see this site's administrators step in here with the real data for these devices, but until then, I hope this information is of some help.

zain123

Postby zain123 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:32 pm

All information can be found on this forum. Basic connection for Amp meter and Volt meter; real example connection for a current meter with isolated module(6 pins), and current transformer (C.T.) for AC current meter.

Decrease your exam stress by using our latest 642-035 dumps - pass4sure and best quality testking and wikipedia We provide with 100% pass Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) along with COMPTIA and selftestengine EXIN

Return to “LED”