How do you keep track of inventory after sales on eBay

Tech_Marco

How do you keep track of inventory after sales on eBay

Postby Tech_Marco » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:59 pm

eBay doesn't allow us to 'plant' our item code created in a accounting software but ebay generate it's own item# itself. But how could we tell our accounting software about the sales and to do inventory deduction once a product sold?! The answer is "no way". So, I came up my solution and I was lucky that I had some Visual Basic programming experience when I was doing ASP web application programming while I was working for the Ca State. I wrote myself a simple VB module and Access database to do title 'mapping' between eBay item and my accounting software which is "MYOB". Still it's not that easy for someone who doesn't has computer background like Import and Export or the CSV format to carry out the task. But if you do, my little program can save your life.

Before I have the module completed, we didn't know how many item left on the shelves or how many sold. Of couse it can't be 100% accurate which is an ideal and dream for all inventory control manger. Plus, we couldn't tell wheter was it profit making or losing. We're living in a total darkness and helpless. I remembered that there were about 15,000 transactions for that year. If hired someone to do the data entry (tried), it seems impossible. He or she got to know what the hack is the item on eBay and how could I know if he/he was picking up the right item code on the the accounting when doing data entry. It took she 3 days to enter 7~8 orders. So, mission failure and mission became Impossible.

After my module completed and a preliminary test run, it took about 30 min and completed 95% transacitons. The rest, I need to fix it one by one. Now it take less than 5 min to finish 1500 transactions.

eBay - hate to use it but got to have it as it's a good marketing placet. They have so many stupid policy, unfair feedback system, money minded, stingy... :evil:

Now, I turned my eyes to Amazon. Great sales!

stairbuilder

Re: How do you keep track of inventory after sales on eBay

Postby stairbuilder » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:23 pm

Tech_Marco wrote:eBay - hate to use it but got to have it as it's a good marketing place. They have so many stupid policy, unfair feedback system, money minded, stingy... :evil:

This is so true. I have been a gold and platinum level top rated seller on ebay for 2 years now. I also have my own website sell on newegg and a couple other marketplaces. Ebay gets me the most sales.

I use stitchlabs software to manage my inventory. It integrates with several different sales channels and updates regularly to keep everything in synch. It also integrates with book keeping software like xero and quickbooks and I believe you can run your POS through it as well.

If it doesn't cause things to get out of control I think having a presence on as many community marketplaces as possible is a great way to get your name/brand out there

*edit
Didn't realize how old this post was...

Return to “General”