SSR for JLD612?

bladesmith

SSR for JLD612?

Post by bladesmith »

I'm going to build a 220 volt heat treat oven and was wondering what type of Solid State Relay I should use with a JLD612 controler. If I need to provide more info, please let me know what I need to put on here.

Thanks
Dave
richiem

Re: SSR for JLD612?

Post by richiem »

Use an SSR rated to handle at least 240VAC and that has a low-voltage DC control input (these typically will work with inputs anywhere from 3VDC to 32VDC -- the JLD612 puts out 8VDC and up to 40mA).

The tricky part is the AC current rating. You need to know the current drawn by the heater being used; then I would get an SSR rated for *at least* 5 times that amount.

Be sure to use a heat sink on the SSR, and if you are working in an environment with an elevated ambient temp, use a fan to force air over the heat sink. Some folks have used Peltier junction cooling, and some have used water-cooled CPU heat sink/fan assemblies attached to the SSR itself or to the SSR's heat sink. Use a thin film of Arctic Silver heat sink compound between the SSR and whatever heat sink type you choose.

Return to “Temperature Controller”