JLD612 and High temperature(100 'C) 1L/Min mini DC Water Pum

hotglass

JLD612 and High temperature(100 'C) 1L/Min mini DC Water Pum

Post by hotglass »

I am building a sous vide cooker per instructions on the internet and have a dumb question. The one thing missing was a pump to agitate the water. There is a High temperature(100 'C) 1L/Min mini DC Water Pump available which should fit the bill. However I am a real newbie to electrical connections. How do you power this pump? Would like to use it but dont know how to get power to it.

Can someone help a real newbie.

Thanks
hotglass

Re: JLD612 and High temperature(100 'C) 1L/Min mini DC Water

Post by hotglass »

Guess it would help if I posted a link to the pump. Here it is

http://www.lightobject.com/High-tempera ... -P510.aspx

Thanks
richiem

Post by richiem »

Buy a wall wart 6VDC power supply at Radio Shack that is rated for at least 500mA (0.5A). The specs didn't show the length of its power wires, but I'll bet they are at least 24 inches, so the wiring will be well outside your container. Hook the pump's red wire to the positive connection/wire of the wall wart, and the black to the negative.

That's about all there is to it. You can probably just run the pump in the tank/pan/pot without any hoses attached and great great circulation. If the pump's flow rate is too high, look for a supply that has adjustable output -- they used to make them that would supply 6V, 4.5V and 3V; you can try a lower voltage to reduce flow. If they don't have those anymore, you may need to buy a small bench-type DC power supply with a knob to adjust the output voltage. Or find a friendly tech-type and have him/her build you one out of a small power transformer, an LM317 IC regulator chip, a resistor, a couple of capacitors, and a potentiometer. Good luck.
hotglass

Post by hotglass »

Thanks for your help. Will check out my local Radio Shack this morning.
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

5vdc wall wart $5.95
1 amp which should be fine for this pump i would guess based on typical computer water pumps which tend to be larger head/capacity

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8269
sous-vide

Post by sous-vide »

I just got this pump and it is working well. With correct orientation, I can easily circulate the the 15 litres of water present in my turkey frier. The only problem with the pump is the short lenght of its wires (only about 4 inches). You have to be careful to prevent the wire connections to touch the water.
richiem

Post by richiem »

Soldering extension wires to each motor wire and insulating each with tight-fitting heat-shrink tubing, plus a bigger piece of heat-shrink over both leads has worked well for me.

Return to “Temperature Controller”